Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
RST
DIY Homeowner

Share |

Question about installing soffit vents

Hi,

My garage (40 x 30, hip roof) has no insulation, no venting, and a black roof. The garage is connected to the house with a breezway. On a typical summer day the temperature in the garage exceeds 100 F. Up in the rafters I'm sure it is much hotter and I notice the shingles are showing premature wear compared to the rest of the building (which has a properly vented attic). The garage soffits are metal with no vents currently. (See pictures.) What would be the easiest way to add soffit vents? Removing the gutters seems like it would be quite a challenge, as they have been riveted into one 160' long gutter.

Thanks, RST

(P.S. I also plan to add a fan, turbine, or some other vents near the top of the roof, but that's a different discussion.)
Attached Thumbnails
Question about installing soffit vents-soffit1.jpg   Question about installing soffit vents-soffit2.jpg   Question about installing soffit vents-soffit3.jpg  

RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Mod

The easiest thing would be to replace the solid aluminum soffit with vented vinyl soffit. It would cost about a $1 sf. If you did it yourself.

That stuff comes down and goes back up pretty fast.

You could cut out and rivet aluminum vents to what you have but that wouldn’t look as nice IMO.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
RST
DIY Homeowner

Is there a way to do it without removing the gutters? They have all been riveted together around the entire perimeter. They are in good working condition. Attached with spikes.

Thanks, RST
Old 07-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST View Post
Is there a way to do it without removing the gutters?

Absolutely. The soffit is not attached to the eaves so shouldn't get in your way.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
RST
DIY Homeowner

Ahh, but I can't figure out how to get the metal fascia off that holds or covers the ends of the soffit because the gutters are covering the nails that hold it in place. Thoughts?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Mod

You shouldn’t have to. That is the #1 goal of the job, “don’t destroy the fascia”.

If you have to you can bend down the J on the wall and replace it. Doing that you should have no problem getting the soffit out without damaging the fascia if you’re careful. Once you get the first piece out which would be the last piece they installed it should be easy.

The only possible issue is vinyl soffit is ” and aluminum
might be 3/8”. Worst case you go back with vented aluminum soffit.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
RST (07-18-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #7

Just cut one piece across the middle you will be replacing. Pull both pieces out to see the assembly.
http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

I recommend using continuous soffit vent strip, placed next to the fascia board for a 9 sq.in.perft, the minimum required. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...1WH&lpage=none Instead of only 4.68 NFVA or so with the perforated. http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...rived92755.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
RST
DIY Homeowner

OP here again,

Thanks for the help so far. I found a damaged piece of soffit and mangled it further to get a sense of what's up there. (See picture.) Unfortunately, it's nailed to the fascia, so I'm guessing all the other pieces are nailed as well.

So I'm thinking it might be easier to take my jigsaw and cut a channel and install several continuous vents. Or possibly install some 16 x 8 vents.

Thoughts?

P.S. Just measured that piece, it is 23" long when straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about installing soffit vents-soffit4.jpg  

Last edited by RST; 07-18-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Measure the piece.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

you couldn't keep air out of that soffit if you tried,even tho there are no visible holes in it,there is plenty of room for air to get thru that soffit,thats probably not your problem
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #10

If you cut a channel, you would need backing to attach the soffit and the continuous vent. If you go with 8x16 vents at 65NFVA each, they would be spaced 7' apart to get the minimum 9 NFVA per foot required. http://www.lomanco.com/intakemain.html This would not get the 9 required PER FOOT to keep each bay cooler, extending the roof's life. The optimum location of soffit vents is close to the fascia, for the wind pressure, page # 616: http://books.google.com/books?id=Z8a...lation&f=false

Be safe, Gary

RST (07-18-2010)