Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 158
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

ques. if this gap is normal?

hello all, and thanks in advance for any info or input on my question.This past spring i recently had a contractor strip off and put new shingles on my home, and at same time put up new gutters and wrapped the facia boards, last week before the storm i was checking my gutter out to see which gutter guard would do me better, and i pulled the over-hanging edge of the bottom shingle up just a hair and noticed that the ply sheeting that was in place stopped short of the end of the rafter by about an inch and a half, uniformly along the whole house, just wondering if this is normal? or something i need to do something about? or will the shingles take care of that.Again thanks for any input on this

jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,006

Post some pictures.
Doesn't sound normal.

rossfingal

rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

If no decking was replaced by the contractor prior then IMO he should be free of any liability.

I have seen the plywood about 1" off the fascia but not an extra 1/2".

Its not ideal but I don't think its an issue.I have seen this mostly on hip roofs.

You could install drip edge.I might do that anyway.IMO
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
jpc
jc

drip edge is what i was thinking, and by no means did i mean to sound as if i was looking to blame the contractors i recently used, no my house is 12 years old, that sheeting was done long ago.They each did an outstanding job. Maybe only if this inch and half is not normal,he could have pointed that out to me.Thats why i had to get on the puter and come to the knowledge bank,lol.maybe it is normal and he did his job to make sure it doesnt do any harm.
I also thought that any number of problems hittting at one time such as wind popping that bottom shingle's edge up just a little bit and next big rain and gutters are full, i could see some water ending up in my attic. I think drip edge and some type of caulking would be the way to go, any suggestions on caulk or what to use? hey guys thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
MJW

Not sure how you could see that, if the I&W was installed correctly.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
jpc
jc

Hey MJW, What is I&W? Please explain, sponge here,lol
Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN

Depending on your location and whether high velocity winds are a factor.,then the need for a roofing cement application to the drip is a customer piece of mind option.

I would first install all of the drip edge prior to starting the sealing process.Unless you are familiar with the use of a caulk gun while holding the starter shingle and the first row of shingles.

If you are not you could have the cement everywhere on you,your gutters,ladder,roof,fascia wrap etc.

The pic of the drip edge is a very common type.It is purchased at majority of the home improvement stores or your local roofing supply store.

I would measure from the underside of the shingle to your gutter hanger.Make sure the drip passes the back of the gutter where it meets the fascia wrap.

Drip that is too short will allow water behind your gutters and too long will require alteration of the drip edge to accommodate the gutter hangers.

On the drip edge a groove/trough will be on the drip edge where it is fastened to the roof deck.That is where a bead of cement it applied.Sealing outside of that closer to the edge will cause seepage of the cement into the gutters.

I would use about 3/8" bead the entire length.If you would like to be thorough if your starter shingles are overlapped seal between the lap too.

If you are unsure of your skill level with the drip installation then ask for instruction.Alot of good and knowledgeable contractors/roofers are here to help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 09-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
jpc (09-04-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
hello all, and thanks in advance for any info or input on my question.This past spring i recently had a contractor strip off and put new shingles on my home, and at same time put up new gutters and wrapped the facia boards, last week before the storm i was checking my gutter out to see which gutter guard would do me better, and i pulled the over-hanging edge of the bottom shingle up just a hair and noticed that the ply sheeting that was in place stopped short of the end of the rafter by about an inch and a half, uniformly along the whole house, just wondering if this is normal? or something i need to do something about? or will the shingles take care of that.Again thanks for any input on this
What is there no drip edge??? Maybe post pictures.
framingrailman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framingrailman For This Useful Post:
jpc (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
jpc
jc

I will take some pictures in morning when its light outside before work.@Framingrailman, no drip edge at all, under that bottom row of shingles looking straight down i see the top of the fascia board and looking thru the inch and half gap i see into my attic, panning upwards i see the edge of the roof sheeting. Didnt want to tug on the shingles too much, but i did this randomly along the perimeter all the way around my house and it was uniformly done this way. Now that im thinking a little harder, when the roof was done, the gutter people didnt make it out that day as planned,Next day there were there, worked all day, due to horrible weather the next two days i got a call from them .Major snow.Fourth day comes the are there bright and early, then they finished up that next morning.Possible with all that hit or miss, start and stop, do you think maybe the drip edge for forgotten about?I may be jumping to conclusions....is the drip edge even there job or the roofer, hell i dont know. Honestly , other than this all three contractor i dealt with were awesome and did a great job
@Roofmaster417 That picture made it real clear to me what i need, and your walk thru on how to do are very much appreciated and and will be the route ill go.
For now, thank you framingrailman,Roofmaster417,Rosfingel,MJW
Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Not sure how you could see that, if the I&W was installed correctly.
right!

sounds like a lot of things should be different, I'll post more later gotta run
Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #11

If your roof was replaced in the spring and you can now, at this date pick up the shingle; I am assuming no starter strip was used. We know no drip was installed by the roofer (which I think is standard practice to be their responsibility) and maybe no starter, I thinking the splices in the bottom row of shingles are open to the underlayment or plywood below. Now assuming they did install an underlayment, that membrane would have to extend past facia board to be rain proof.
I would like to know if the underlayment is sticky or sticking to the plywood decking below and if under the first row of shingles there is a hidden row of shingles that appear different. Could you also estimate the distance that first row extends past the facia board. Answering those questions and any pictures would help with a fix.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #12
jpc
jc

hey sorry for taking so long to get back, have had a ton of internet issues, and i also apoligize for not getting those pics posted, that was around the time my router took a dump, thanks for you guys patients. Im going to take another peek under that first rom and take a handful of pics and get them up today, thanks again for sticking with me on this
Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

Well I have waited long enough ,,,,,
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
the ply sheeting that was in place stopped short of the end of the rafter by about an inch and a half, uniformly along the whole house, just wondering if this is normal?
I know a couple framing crews in my town that do their sheathing this way. Might not be back an inch and a half, about an inch usually.

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote