Protruding Nails Through Exterior Patio Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Protruding nails through exterior patio roof

My in-laws recently had their shingle roof redone due to hurricane damage, including their patio roof. After the new roof was put on they noticed that there were nails sticking through their patio roof on the exterior of the house.

The rafters between this patio roof are very narrow which make cutting the protruding nails with a hacksaw pretty much impossible (about 3 inches).

What can I do to remove these 'thick' nails in tight quarters?

Advertisement

miami789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

An angle grinder should do it.

FWIW, I think code requires that roofing nails protrude through the roof deck, if it's less than 3/4" thick, so you can't blame the roofers for this one.

Advertisement

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Looks to me like it would be better to just panel the underside, instead of grinding or cutting off the roofing nails. Those should protrude through a certain length anyway. T-111 pressure-treated 4'X8' panel siding would work fine, and it can be stained or painted, won't rot, etc., etc.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Put some T&G up there to cover the nails and beautify at the same time.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you must remove them, and I do not advise this, because they are supposed to penetrate plywood by a "Minimum" of 3/8", then I have used a dremel tool with the metal cutting discs for tight quarters.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #6

Great suggestions.

I am leaning towards covering the nails in the patio area with panels since I am concerned about staying up to code and ensuring that I don't weaken the roof.

Three quick questions:

1. How much does a 4'x8' panel cost? (trying to get rough materials estimate - couldn't find 't-111' or 'panels' at home depot site)
2. Should screws or nails be used (rafter is about 1.5 " wide and about 4" high)?
3. What is the difficulty of the job? Can this job be done by a handyman or does it require professional installation?

The exterior patio roof slants down about 15 degrees and is approximately 22' by 14'. Thanks for your help guys.
miami789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #7

T-111 is definitely available at HD or any lumberyard. Just keep asking until you find someone who knows what you're talking about (or go to a lumberyard, and get the answer the first time ).

I'd probably use beadboard, myself. This is also available at HD or any lumberyard. It is tounge-and-grooved, and you would nail it diagonally through the tounge before sliding the next piece into place. I think this would give a better-looking installation, with no more work.

I don't recall exactly how much I paid for T-111. I'd guess $40 for a 4x8' sheet. You'd have to check on bead board prices. One of the builders here can probably tell you a better approximation off the top of his head.

This should be well within the abilities of a skilled handyman.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #8

for some reason it goes by the name of T-11, It is 26 bucks a sheet where the thickness is just over .50 inches. Sounds like you should be using the t&g boards that are approx 6" strips where you see typically on the underside of house eves.

Advertisement

pmaru77 is offline   Reply With Quote