Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #1

Share |

Protecting shingles on hot roof

Is there any way to safely protect a hot roof while working on it? I know that early morning is preferred time, since shingles are not hot yet, but anything else anyone has used successfully?

igneous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Handyman

Had the same problem last week...stinking HOT! We just folded up some canvas tarps and placed them under our knees and shoes. A little time consuming but protected the shingles.

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #3

Well it's about 100* here in N. TX and I'm putting a ridge vent on this weekend. It's a fairly steep roof and I don't want to screw it up....maybe work in the morning until it gets hot, then finish the next morning if needed. I do have some tarps, but I'm thinking one of my moving blankets would work. One side is a grip side and other is soft. Thanks!
igneous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
MJW

Bring the water hose up with you. Cools the roof very fast.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Handyman

Yep! Moving blankets work great
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #6

What I have used for over 20 years is a peice of Foam.I have found that using couch cushion to stand on or even sit on while doing steep walls saves the shingles.Plus it keeps you secure to the roof.We also use shingle boards to hold bundles and keep them from sliding down the roof and scaring the shingles.Generally we use these items on roofs with a pitch greater then a 8/12.On pitches below an 8/12 i recommend the guys just walk softly and dont grind your feet into the shingles by kneeling down.

Single boards consist of a piece of OSB or Plywood sheething 20 inches wide by 40 long,i nail a 20 inch 2x4 to one end to hold the bundle.Second i put egg foam and staple it to the bottom side of the board to keep it from sliding.
Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Household Handyman

I am not a roofer! But I see plenty of them around here while doing my home repair work. A lot of them have the couch cushions to place under their knees as they go up the roof laying/nailing the shingles down. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote