Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
rjh

Share |

proper way to install ice - water shield on roofs

Four years ago, i had gutter gards installed on my gutter system. By design, the guards had a tail "skirt" that was pushed up under the starter shingle of the roof. Two years late, i had the roof replaced. The roofer installed the ice-water shield OVER the top of the gutter gaurd skirt. Now it's time to remove the gutter guards in order to clean the debris out that got into the gutters - but i can't do it because the guards are glued down under the ice/water shield!!??..The guy ibought the gutter guards from said it's the roofers fault for not installing the water shield UNDER the guard skirt. the roofer says they had to do it that way in order for run off in case water gets under the shingle higher up the roof. A 3rd pary tells me that water shield MUST be installed directly to the decking, all the way around over the edge where the fascia board is (with nothing in between them)- all B4 the gutter, drip cap or gutter gards are installed. who's right??

rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
MJW

proper way to install ice - water shield on roofs

They are all right.......

I&W goes over the drip edge when metal fascia and soffit are applied. If it is wood, it goes under the drip edge. I have run into this once, and applied the I&W under the gutter guard and on top of the drip edge because it had metal soffit and fascia.

I thought that the gutter guards were "supposed" to keep debris out "forever". Myself I think the gutter guards are worthless. JMO

It's no one's fault directly. It sounds like each person tried to do their job correctly. Why not cut the I&W to remove the guards, clean them out, apply I&W, then put them back on.

I agree with your roofer because water can back up under the shingles easily with gutter guards, especially with ice.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
what are tags??