Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Proper Roofing Techniques?

We had our roof replaced 11 months ago and are still trying to get repairs done. I am concerned that the repairs completed thus far with not pass inspection when we go to sell our home in 2 to 3 years.
Is it proper to nail flashing into the morter of the fireplace to prevent it from gaping? Gaping is still present and now I am concerned for the integrity of the morter of the fireplace.
My second concern is the way the valley was finished. The reply I got from them is that is how Valleys are installed on roofs with such varing pitches. I don't have pictures of what it looked like before the roof was replaced but I do know it looked nothing like it does now.
Am I just being overly critical of the roofing job or are these areas that I insist be repaired properly?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Proper Roofing Techniques?-fireplace-flashing.jpg   Proper Roofing Techniques?-bottom-valley.jpg   Proper Roofing Techniques?-top-peak.jpg   Proper Roofing Techniques?-img_0928.jpg  

JoWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

From all appearances, it appears that Joe Bob & his brother/cousin Billy Bob do not know how to do flashing. Post a wider angle shot showing the whole roof, not just a small section.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

don't know what that picture of the gutter is showing but something doesn't look right there. As far as the other work goes, although it is not a preferred method, if it's not leaking it should pass a home inspection. I personally do not allow bleeders in the valleys and the chimney flashing looks like they took a little more time than many roofers work I see. Any time I see caulk on a roof like that I just shake my head. To me, bleeders and caulk say lazy and/or inexperienced.

Not the highest quality work but it looks to be passable.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 03-26-2011 at 02:02 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Any time I see caulk on a roof like that I just shake my head.
Not the highest quality work but it looks to be passable.
I agree.

As far as the bleeders up the valley, we do it, but not with a half cali weave like that. We use a colored W valley metal 24" wide, and run bleeders up both sides of the valley. The tar strips on the back of the laminates make a great seal and eliminates many valley problems, especially on low pitches. We used to cut all valleys and it just looks hackish up close compared to the way we now do it. Plus there are no voids exposed in the valleys like there is when they are cut.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

your way sounds neat and clean MJW. One of my biggest issues with the method they used is that extra layer of laminate under the one side creates an even bigger hump on that side of the valley. Just don't like the finished look. Plus if you are going to run a bleeder, at least take the time to point the shingles neatly along the bleeder. Those corners overhanging or running short just irritate me.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

I am a firm believer in a nice and tight roof installation.The chimney counter flashing is my favorite.

Pic #1 chimney; my chimney technique that works extremely well is 1 solid continuous piece.I anchor mine to the side of the chimney with 3/16" anchors by Redhead.Not to big and bulky but small and solid enough to perform as needed and still maintain a very attractive application.I never nail thru the mortar joints.I cut into the mortar and install my metal with a Z bend setting into the cavity I cut thru.Nailing into the mortar joints is a technique from the old school which worked well in its time but technilogical advances have evolved.Part of that technique is a counter step flashing combination,meaning instead of 1 being step flashing and another the counter flashing they act as 1.That maybe causing the shingles to be lifted.IMO since the counter flashing is multiple sections they should have been verticle instead of a negative degree angle.The aprons in the front and the pan in the back of the chimney seem to be different materials.IMO how and why would you replace the face counter flashing and reuse the pan and apron? The corner piece at the lower left facing the chimney should be going around the apron rather than the apron leading the corner.Whoever performed this installation tried but thats about it.And yes its alot better than some I have seen.Will this chimney cause your house to fail an inspection?Depends on how "By the book" the inspectors are.
Attached Thumbnails
Proper Roofing Techniques?-fireplace-20flashing.jpg  

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote