Propanel Roof Paint - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Propanel roof paint

Hi there - Need input/advice on experiment..didn't see that one coming didya! I have a propanel roof with very slight pitch which makes snow removal slow at best even with roof rake. Want to paint about a 24" horizontal strip of black across the north side edge over hang of the roof to help with snow drop off. Do you think it will work and what type of paint should I use? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

mwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Propanel roof paint

It will likely work to paint the areas black where you want the roof to melt. I spoke with one guy who suggested on flat roofs, in the puddle areas, I paint the low spots black so the puddles melt first on the roof. From him it was salesmen bull chit, but it does hold merit. The one problem I see with that is, with a thick enough snow it will reflect the heat from making it to the black to warm the panels.

You can use a professional elastomeric roof coating if you want to prevent/stop any leaks.

Advertisement

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote