Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

Price of new roof

I am getter a roof installed, on average what percentage is materials and what percentage is labor?
Tks

montrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Price of new roof

2% materials 2% labor 96% profit because contractors are all crooks. pfffft!

It does NOT work that way. I was discussing with someone a few weeks back this exact topic. We were talking about single ply membrane. He was asking what % is material and what % is labor. The example that I gave him was of two jobs that I did that were very similiar. one job was a 45 mil TPO, the other job was an 80 mil PVC. PVC generally costs more than TPO, and as you can imagine 80 mil will cost more than 45 mil. The labor was nearly identicle. So how can one properly apply a % markup for determining labor? It's not really possible.

here is another example. You can take a shingle roof and install it with the best materials possible, install premium copper flashings, install ice shield more than the minimum, install heavy felt paper and impriove the ventilation. Or you can install a minimum code roof with the cheapest materials possible. Both will take about the same ammount of time. How can you apply a % marup since the better roof will cost more in materials? You can't.

In general, though, you can figure ALL the materials and multiply x 3 to get a ball park, but this general rule of thumb does not always apply. If I have a roof that is an EZ walk, 1 layer rip and is 2,000 square foot it may take 1 day to install. If I have a roof that is a very steep 3 story roof with 3 layers to rip and is also 2,000 square feet with basically the same materials, this job will take 2-3x the ammount of labor. So again throw the rule of thumb out the window because there are no "average jobs". Each job should be priced based on the merits of that job and that job only. Each materials list will be slightly different than the next. Each job will take more or less time than the job before.

Here are some other factors that play a part in building a price. What is access like? can the materials be roof loaded or will a laborers need to get them onto the roof? Can the dumpster be placed directly next to the building or will laborers need wheel barrows and walk to the street? How close are the neighbor's buildings, where can I place my ladders? Are there bushes to protect? Did you just buy a new driveway I need to worry about? All of these things are an important part of a roofing project. The roofing system is more than just the shingles, and the roofing project is more than just the system.

Quite often you get what you pay for so it's usually not a good idea to cheap out on the roof. The roof protects everything inside your home or building. The roof is also a hefty investment, and not one that you may want to repeat in 15 years. Doing it right and paying enough to a professional roofing contractor to do it right in the first place is truly an investment since the properly installed roof with the good quality materials will last longer than the guy down the street bangin' on home cheapo shingles. In short doing it right the first time is cheaper so you don't have to redo it. Doing it twice always costs more.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by Grumpy; 06-04-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
MJW (06-05-2011), seeyou (06-08-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Price of new roof

grump has it explained thoroughly.

theres many costs when quoting to figure out though, its not all profit, you can take the cost of the materials, then the labor to install. but the rest goes to gas, wcb, paying for disposal ect. tons of things are accounted for. let alone the labors wages and man hours put in.

I pay my guys well because of the experience and quality they bring. Its hard to put a price on quality and remain competitive with companies that just slap a roof on and move to the next one.

Best thing to do is shop around for different companies, get as many free quotes as you would like and look for a happy medium. Just keep in mind your looking for quality above anything else. If the work is shotty, your going to have problems sooner and that wastes the warranty of the product.
Serious Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Price of new roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Roofer View Post
Just keep in mind your looking for quality above anything else. If the work is shotty, your going to have problems sooner and that wastes the warranty of the product.
I like to tell customers that you're going to pay a good roofer one way or another. Pay the good roofer to install the roof, or pay the good roofer to fix the mistakes from the cheap roofer. Either way, the good roofer always gets his cut... now or later is the only question.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (06-09-2011)