Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Share |

Premature roof wear

I currently have a CertainTeed Landmark 30 that was installed six years ago over an existing roof. After the roof was installed I started seeing granules in my gutters I quickly called back the installer and he said that this was normal “wash off”. Over the years the granules keep washing off and I started to notice areas on my roof that I could now see had no granules in the shingle at all. I did call the back the original roofer and he agreed that there was something wrong with the shingle and said he would open a claim with the manufacturer, but nothing was ever done even after numerous calls to his company. I have since started a claim myself with the manufacturer. This has been going on for several months and still no results.
At this time I am looking to do a complete tear-off (currently have two layers) of roofing, but need some help in choosing another manufacture of roofing products. My house currently has a ridge vent (Cobra) that was installed by the last roofer, but all of the new contractors that I have estimate a new roof state that that type of ridge vent is poorly designed for maximum efficiency.
Any suggestions that can be offered would be appreciated.

JJ893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Premature roof wear

I installed venture mostly, but have used numerous brands including cobra and done so with out any problems.
Every single manufacturer in the roofing material business has produced lines of shingles that needed re-called,
altho Certainteed has had more than thier share, they still have several lines that are of high quality.

Keep in touch with the certainteed corperation and search out class action lawsuits for your area, rather than just giving up, and make sure you get alot of pictures of your exsisting roof, along with written comments from roofers explaing and showing the damage.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote