Power Home Remodeling Group Hard Sell $35,000 Roofing Estimate - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Power Home Remodeling Group hard sell $35,000 Roofing estimate

I tried several searches to find feedback on Power HRG. Surprisingly, nothing on DIYC.

So, we have a serious roof leak at the chimney flashing and a few other small spots in our attic where water stains are visible. Several sheets of plywood are rotted. Yes, we are getting the chimney fixed first.

So, we stopped by a local home show and agreed to let Power HRG come in and give an estimate on a roof. This was our FIRST estimate for a full roof. We already had an estimate of $2000 just to repair the leaks.

So, to make the long story short...the sales guy scared us away from every other roofer on earth, stayed for 2 hr 45 min, and resulted in an estimate of $35,000! After telling him "No way, you're nuts!" twice, the price dropped down to $24000 but only if we commit RIGHT NOW. Without any having any other estimates we turned him down and finally got him to leave just before 11pm.

I was expecting a sub -$10000 estimate since my $2000 repair was going to yield roughly a third of my roof being replaced (I think) to get to the damaged plywood. I'm a bit of an optimist.

Roof is just under 3200 sq ft. and pitch is about 7 ft / 28 ft. 2-story colonial. 3 separate roofs. Two wings are one story each and center section is 2-story. I'm getting ready to call a bunch of roofers for estimates. Based on the few threads I've read on here, I guess I'm looking at 12000-20000 for a good roof. Does that sound right? Anything specific I should look out for?

thanks

Advertisement

mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

No such thing as a 7 ft. / 28 ft. pitch roof.
You want a quote to include removing and disposing of all old shingles and trash.
Remove and replace all flashing, not replace if needed!
A price per sheet of sheathing to replace.
Make sure price includes drip cap on all outside edges not just the bottom edge.
Make sure there going to use 1-1/4 galvanized roof nails. No staples!
Just think if that other guy could find enough sucker to go with a price like that they could get away with doing 1/2 the work and make the same amount of money.
A picture of your roof would get better answers.

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 524

16-20 Sounds like there is a lot going on. But i don't know how much roofers get in your area. I like certainteed landmarks. Go to there website see if they have a roofer in your area. Quotes are free.

http://www.certainteed.com/Locators/FindAProSearch.aspx

Last edited by 747; 10-22-2013 at 05:52 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

Sounds like the classic 10 point sales pitch to me! Do you realize you just costed him 3-4 grand for his 2hrs and 45 min. of working on you. Shame on you!

Generally speaking, the salesman you want is the same guy that's actually going to do the work.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No such thing as a 7 ft. / 28 ft. pitch roof.
You want a quote to include removing and disposing of all old shingles and trash.
Remove and replace all flashing, not replace if needed!
A price per sheet of sheathing to replace.
Make sure price includes drip cap on all outside edges not just the bottom edge.
Make sure there going to use 1-1/4 galvanized roof nails. No staples!
Just think if that other guy could find enough sucker to go with a price like that they could get away with doing 1/2 the work and make the same amount of money.
A picture of your roof would get better answers.
Does this count as a picture of the roof? If not, tell me how close you want me to get and I'll snap a few more. Yes, that is moss growing on the shady half of the roof. A lot of it.

I obviously don't know the correct way to measure a roof pitch. I just measured the height and the width. If triangle is 7 ft high and 28 ft wide then I would think the angle is 1 ft of rise for each 4 ft of run so 1/4 should be the same as 4/12. Is that right?

Last edited by mystic_cobra; 10-22-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Sounds like the classic 10 point sales pitch to me! Do you realize you just costed him 3-4 grand for his 2hrs and 45 min. of working on you. Shame on you!

Generally speaking, the salesman you want is the same guy that's actually going to do the work.
It was more like a 42 point sales pitch. He had an ipad with powerpoint slides, he had a little model house, he had samples of all the "exclusive" materials that they use that NO ONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY USES...on and on...

At lease we felt like we learned a lot about roofing. I'll think of it as a free training seminar. Too bad I couldn't get CE credits.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #7

http://www.pole-barn.info/roof-pitch.html
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
DIYer

Oh right, that makes more sense. The whole roof is 28 ft wide, so I need half. Based on that number, that makes me a 7/14 roof or a 6/12 roof, I think.

I'll take a square and a level out there tomorrow in the daytime and check it.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
registered

Ok buy pic. You have a lot of step flashing which is going to need to be done. Chimmey reflashed. Then its pretty straight foward. 35,000 NO WAY. 24,000 i don't think so.

Step flashing will be on the top section of house where it meets lower section. Make sure they seal it up good with ice and water shield. Also at least first 3 feet of roof in ice and water shield. Or you can go first 6 feet. Make sure the house has adequate ventilation on back. I can't see what is going on by pic. Where i live 14,000 would do this roof.

Last edited by 747; 10-23-2013 at 03:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (10-23-2013), oh'mike (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,064

First price $35,000 -
Dropped to $24,000?!?
You saved yourself many thousands of dollars by not signing now!
Rip-Off!

$35.000?!?
What were they going to put on - Stain-less Steel?!?

Also, not "flashing as needed" -
New flashing!
As "Joe" said above -
New drip-edge everywhere!

Go to a local roofing supplier and get the names of 3 roofers in your area -
Get quotes from them.
Don't neccesarily go with the cheapest!

Good luck!

"RF"
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-24-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #11

Last year we got a quote to do my own house and garage.
34 sq. $14,000 for just the labor.
I ended up doing it myself. The materials where only $4463.00.
I'm lucky enough to have a tractor with a bucket on it and a dump trailer. I used the bucket to catch the falling shingles and to load the shingles up on the roof, and the trailer to hall the trash away.
It was a joke the way they had done this roof the last time.
They had nailed all the step flashing right in the 90 deg. corner, both low slope roofs had a 6" exposure on 3 tab shingles so you could see all the glue lines.
They had used 2" nails.
There was no H clips on the whole roof and the plywood was installed with no expansion gaps.
The plywood had the grade marks X out and the words defective stamped over it, a new one to me, never want to see that one again.
They had stopped the Hidden gutter hangers 6' from the ends of the gutters.
Used paper thin flashing on the chimney and just laid it against the side and used about a gal. of roofing tar to seal it.
One vent pipe had the collar installed backwards it was 180 deg. out.

Last edited by joecaption; 10-23-2013 at 09:57 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
DIYer

I appreciate the feedback. I'd really like to NOT spend 5, 10, 15, or 35 thousand bucks to have someone else do this but even I (the eternal optimist) have limits. More on time than on abilities given the many resources online these days (like you guys).

I build and repair my own cars including racecars that run 150 MPH and did my own kitchen including framing, electrical, cabinets, drywall, tile, etc (everything but installing the granite). BUT I did it all INSIDE. I don't have time for this and don't want to screw it up given the stakes and what is under that roof. The wife (who is extremely frugal) and I have agreed to pay the pros on this one while we handle the complete renovation of everything else inside.

Again, I really appreciate all the advice, tips, and warnings!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
DIYer

Is there normally flashing where the two lower roofs meet the second floor tucked behind the aluminum siding? Would that need to be replaced? OR is the flashing only around the chimney?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
registered

yes this is step flashing it all needs to be replaced. Or i would consider it a half ass job. Also sealed up with ice and water shield.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
DIYer

Roger. So, the ice/water shield should go up those "joints" too?

Advertisement