DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Power gable vents VS ridege vent (

USNavychief 07-14-2011 12:40 PM

Power gable vents VS ridege vent
I own a 2100 sf house in Florida that I am desperately trying to cool off. In the middle of summer it is not uncommon for my house to be 80 degrees inside. The house and AC are only 5 years old. The AC installers have said the AC is of the correct size and working fine. THe only venting I have in the attic is the static gable vents. What would be better given the situation, motorized gable end vents, one on each end of the house, or ridge vent running the length of the house? My soffits are perforated vinyl and are 360 degrees around the house. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

AGWhitehouse 07-15-2011 09:35 AM

Make sure that there is at least 1" clearance between your roof sheathing and the insulation in your attic. If there isn't then get some venting panels (Lowes, Home Depot, or equal has them) and install.

If you do this and it doesn't help or if you have the air space already, then there are two things you can do:

Install gable end louvers on each end and put a powered fan with thermostat and humistat. This will move air through your attic when temperatures get too high. At the same time, install Tyvek or equal over the top of your insulation (what I assume is fiberglass). Air movement through the fibers greatly reduces the effectiveness. By putting and air barrier (NOT a vapor barrier) you will bring the insulation into it's optimum effectiveness.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1