Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Potential Roof Leak?

Hello, we recently had a pest exterminator flash a hole near our roof eave. Galvanized sheet metal was used and in two spots where the metal is flush against the roof shingle sheet metal screws were used. Do I need to be concerned about potential roof leaks at the screws which penetrate the shingles? Should a neoprene rubber flash cement be applied over the screws? Thanks for the help.

Ellis47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Potential Roof Leak?

From what I am picturing from what you said I would not be concerned to the piont in which you need to do some thing RIGHT NOW, but if you are able to get on the roof than yes I would caulk those screws but use some metal caulking, not roof cement.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Potential Roof Leak?

Yes, it is easy to get on the roof. Now you have me thinking more I have read that a neoprene rubber flash cement in a caulk tube is used to cover nail heads used to secure shingles. It made sense for my situation given the elasticity and 30 year life but I was wondering if it would work as well given the raised screw head. Do you recommend metal caulking for this reason? What would be the best way of applying it to the screw? Just lay a bead around the edge of the head? Just curious b/c with the rubber cement I was going to apply it around the head and then build it up so the entire head is covered. Thanks for the feedback.
Ellis47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Potential Roof Leak?

so you aren't an electrician?
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Potential Roof Leak?

"so you aren't an electrician?" What did I miss there? D.C. I'd like to see a pic of this one, did the exterminator actually put screws through your shingles to hold the flashing in place? IF this is the case, I would call the exterminator, not the tech who did this, and tell them that this is not acceptable, at all. I agree that I would not, personally, worry over this right now, not with the Holidays coming. But, depending on the cooperation of the exterminator, I would have this issue resolved soon. I'm not sure what "Slyfox" was referring to with "metal caulking". According to the area you are in, roofing cement would work around here for this. But I'm more concerned IF there are actually screws/nails going through the shingles, in the long run. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Potential Roof Leak?

I can't understand what's been done. Can you take a picture of it?
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Potential Roof Leak?

Is there any way that the water can get behind the flashing and seep into the screw holes underneath? If so, then caulking the screw won't do you any good.

Attaching a picture would really help.
knighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Dave The Roofer

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to Dave The Roofer

Potential Roof Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis47 View Post
Hello, we recently had a pest exterminator flash a hole near our roof eave. Galvanized sheet metal was used and in two spots where the metal is flush against the roof shingle sheet metal screws were used. Do I need to be concerned about potential roof leaks at the screws which penetrate the shingles? Should a neoprene rubber flash cement be applied over the screws? Thanks for the help.
If the screws have grommits you should be ok, as we install metal roofs with grommits all the time.

Dave The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote