Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Possible water damage

Anyone have any idea how to prevent water from soaking the side of my house? Here is a photo during a rain shower....

Last edited by mike932; 09-30-2011 at 10:06 PM.
mike932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #2

Possible water damage

Looks like the water is backed up in the gutters. It also looks like there is no seal (or it has failed) between the gutters and the side of the house. Check the gutters, and get a gutter contractor to fix that seal.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Mod

Possible water damage

If you can do it safely how about a picture roofline where it meets the gutter and a shot of the roof above it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #4

Possible water damage

bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

Possible water damage

bubbler, I am going to buy an extension ladder and drip edges
Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

Possible water damage

Good luck, if you go w/ the extension ladder consider buying two levelers for the feet if the ground is uneven (or unpaved) and the "arms" that let you rest the top of the ladder against the siding below the gutter instead of on the gutter itself.

Personally I'm able to reach all gutters areas of my Cape roof using an 8' A-frame, so that is what I use to clean the gutters... I feel safer w/ the A-frame for whatever reason.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #7

Possible water damage

After I install drip edges, I suppose I should test them with a garden hose?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Possible water damage

No need to test a drip edge. By design it works if installed properly.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #9

Possible water damage

Okay, this is going to be more difficult than I expected. I bought a ladder today, and took photos of the roof.

The problem is not lack of drip edge. The concrete tiles hang over the gutter adequately.

Somehow, water is leaking a couple feet inward from the gutter. I am guessing the waterproofing is somehow damaged under the concrete tiles.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Photos follow......

Below is a the photo again of the leakage during a rain shower. Notice that the leak is a couple feet inward from the gutter.......

Below is a photo of the gutter.....

Below is the view from ground level. The red arrows show where water leaks during a rain shower.....

Below is possible sloppy waterproofing. Note the visible black waterproofing......

Any advice, guys?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #10

Possible water damage

A common problem here with concrete tiles leaking near the eaves is that UV light damages the under felt there making it very brittle. Concrete tiles tend to allow some water through which runs down the felt into the gutter. When the felt is damaged it leaks at this point.
The usual cure is replace a few feet of the defective felt and replace with a different type not affected by the sunlight.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart45 For This Useful Post:
mike932 (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #11

Possible water damage

All I can say is that by looking at your last picture where the rake tiles end and then go into a poorly fitting 3 sided ridge, the broken ridge tile and the badly mitered tile and the last ridge where you can see daylight through it really makes me wonder about your roof. What does it look like under the valley? It's a closed valley so hard to see. I don't know where you live and the codes where you are but is your tile nailed to the deck or on battens? Is it a mud-on application? Where I'm from in South Florida we have very strict protocols to follow since Hurricane Andrew dessimated a whole lot of roofs and buildings down here. Most tile roofs are installed with Poly-Foam and have a 90#, modified or now-a-days TU-Plus or other tile underlayment that has a granulated surface under the tile.

Water could be intruding from the valley, the ridge area in the last picture and flowing to the lowest point. I really don't like that last ridge (if it should even be a ridge tile) where you can see through it. One good gust of wind and that tile is going to pop up and then you could have a domino effect of the rest popping off if not secured properly. There should at least be a nailer there to securely nail to or now we have to use a ridge metal so the crown of the tile will have contact with either polyfoam or mud or a nail on the top besides the point up areas on the sides.

Unless you think you can tackle taking up a few rows of tiles to see what's happening under there, you might want to call on a professional roofer. It's difficult to tell your roof line with the close up pictures. Does the roof go from a 4/12 to a low pitched area? Is that why it goes from a gable to a ridge? I think the water is getting under the tile from some area and then getting behind the gutter and then wetting the concrete.

Those are my thoughts. Sorry I don't have a solution but first we have to pinpoint the problem and based on that last picture, I believe you could have other problem areas that need to be investigated in order to get to the root of the issue.

Last edited by Horseygirl; 09-30-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: info.
Horseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #12

Possible water damage

Thanks horseygirl. My guess is that water is leaking through the valley as seen in the photo under the chimney. I am guessing the homebuilders did a real lousy roofing job.

I don't know how the tiles are secured, but they feel cemented down.

Is there any way I can seal the valley without removing the tiles to see if that stops the leakage?

Last edited by mike932; 09-30-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #13

Possible water damage

Perhaps I can put a garden hose right into the valley to see if that causes the same leak in the photo?

If the valley is the source of the leak, can I just make the valley waterproof without removing the tiles by caulking it?

Last edited by mike932; 09-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #14

Possible water damage

No, you do not want to seal your valley. First off, that would not solve the problem, only putting on a band-aid and a bad one at that secondly, a valley should help to shed and divert water off the roof just like your gutter collects the water and allows it to disperse to the ground via the downspout and elbows. If anything, you would want to open the valley to allow it to do it's job and allow water to flow.

It could be the flashing under the valley is not properly sealed along the edges, has been compromised by a hole or tear in the metal or paper. Maybe it's not even in the valley but rather the flashing around the chimney as you mentioned. The ridge tile if any are broken and standing in mid air as the one in the last picture allowing the water to be driven behind the tile rather than over it could be an area to investigate. But, if a mud on application, why not do a proper point-up of the tidge tiles if mud is on the roof? Another thought could be the gutter itself and how it's attached to the fascia....is it secure? I don't see hangers, spike and ferrules, etc. Why are there driplets of water on the underside making it look like the water is coming from behind.

You can do the hose thing to try and emulate the force and the amount of water produced by a wind driven rain or, maybe it happens with the slightest bit of rain.

Just remember.....
  • your tiles are decorative and not the substance of a roof. They are there to protect the membrane.
  • Flashings are the most vulnerable part of the roof and, if not properly sealed can allow for water intrusion.
  • Water travels in funny ways
  • removing and replacing tiles can be tricky. Especially in the field area.
  • walking on roofs can be dangerous and best left to someone experienced.
I hope you find some of these ideas helpful in finding out where that darn water is coming from.

Last edited by Horseygirl; 10-01-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Horseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #15

Possible water damage

I just took more photos. It appears that the valley flashing is either damaged or non-existent.

Photo of house. The orange area represents the area that gets soaked during rain:

View from ground. The orange area represents the area that gets soaked during rain. the red arrows point to paint discoloration from rain soaking:

Another view from ground. Notice that the area being soaked is a couple feet behind the gutter, which is why I doubt the problem is lack of drip edge:

Photo of valley. Yellow arrow points to something sticking up from valley, possibly damaged flashing:

Another photo of valley. Notice that there is no flashing hanging over gutter:

Another view of valley:

Top view of valley. Hard to tell if there is flashing or not:

Photo of gutter. There is no drip edge:

Top view of gutter:

Any advice?

Last edited by mike932; 10-06-2011 at 02:56 PM.