Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

Portico Rubber Roof

How are rubber roofs installed? Do they require the tacky material on the rubber to be heated by flame before it is applied onto the the roof sheathing? Or, is the rubber like the membrane used under roof shingles, which is just an adhesive backed membrane that does not require heat?

I moved into a house recently that's had water come through the portico roof. I checked it out recently and some of the rubber wrap around the posts on top of the portico is loose and needs to be resealed. Also, the C-channel in the front along with the drop edges were poorly installed. No L shaped downward drip edge, just a horizontal piece of metal sticking out on the edges.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Portico Rubber Roof

the yellow glue is set on the bottom of the rubber,allowed to get tacky,then set in place and rolled/broomed to prevent bubbles,have a professional look at it,hard to say more w/out pics-there is an epdm (rubber)repair tape called eternabond that has adhesive back and can handle some repair details

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Portico Rubber Roof

Sounds like a total botch, to be honest. A horizonal edge metal? Water getting to the edge with just wick backwards under the roof material. Probably as much as 30% of what makes it over the edge. It will only get worst,IMHO.

Have a pro look at it.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #4

Portico Rubber Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Sounds like a total botch, to be honest. A horizonal edge metal? Water getting to the edge with just wick backwards under the roof material. Probably as much as 30% of what makes it over the edge. It will only get worst,IMHO.

Have a pro look at it.
I looked at the rubber roof and the pieces of rubber around the columns are detached. I will use roof caulk to patch and secure these seams. Also, I will install a drip edge on the corners of the C-Channel to direct water down.

You're right, the job looks like total BS. I just hope the wood under the rubber roof is not too deteriorated. I called the handy man (seller's contractor) that supposedly did the patch and reinstall of the rotted crown molding and not only did he recommend that I find someone else to fix it, but that he does not offer any warranty on his work.

Sickening.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Portico Rubber Roof

There is a legal principle that requires an "Implied Warranty" on any workmanship. I do not know your state or its precise laws, but ask an attorney for a consultation.

If the "Handy Man" only did a repair to an existing roof membrane, then that may not be true for the warranty, but if he installed the materials, it usually carries an "Implied Warranty" of at least one year.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #6

Portico Rubber Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
There is a legal principle that requires an "Implied Warranty" on any workmanship. I do not know your state or its precise laws, but ask an attorney for a consultation.

If the "Handy Man" only did a repair to an existing roof membrane, then that may not be true for the warranty, but if he installed the materials, it usually carries an "Implied Warranty" of at least one year.

Ed
I think these handy men are working under different standards than you and me are thinking. Their standard is to make a fix and move on to the next billing. No pride in their own work. I did not pay these losers, but instead, the seller's paid them. When you call them on their poor practices, they in turn say that you're standards are too high.

Plenty of these people operate like this, and if sued, will just close shop and move on to the next new company. The question you ask yourself is whether you really want these people to come back and fix the job, b/c they should have had the smarts or know how to have done it right the first time. It's scary, and frustrating.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Portico Rubber Roof

If by 'rubber', you mean EPDM, special cleaning techniques, primer, and seam glue are needed to make meaningful repairs.

That said, use Karnak Ultra 19 caulk. It's made to work on rubber and seems better than'Water-Stop'. Not seeing the roof, It's the best I can offer. And I'm sure that even then, it will be a stop-gap and may buy some time to save up for a new roof.

And what Ed said. He's right on the money.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Portico Rubber Roof

actually np-1,or geocell would be better for sealing epdm,the karnak ultra is better for rubberized bitumen purposes-eternabond makes a good epdm repair tape

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote