Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

porch cover - flashing question

I am making a plan for a porch cover addition to my house. The house is stucco like 99% of the homes around here. The porch cover will have a metal roof which is also very common here. I have a question about how this metal roof is usually flashed to the stucco. The problem I have is that I have read about the correct way to do it (inserted under the stucco), but then I look around and have seen none that are done that way. I've seen probably 100 or so, all just stick on the surface (I can see the sealer on the top edge). The many I have seen are done with a flashing or endwall with a flared top edge, just adhered to the stucco with some kind of silicone or something. I understand that this is not the right way to do it, so why do I see none done that way? Could it be our low rainfall (about 9 inches per year)?

garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Behind the stucco is ideal but surface mounting is fine so long as they do it properly.

I like something like this:

http://www.fryreglet.com/details/roof/pop/164.htm

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Its called a surface mount flashing. Its no good, it never has been any good, and it never will be any good. In Boston its called a Philadelphia Flashing. In Philadelphia its called a Boston flashing, and in the NRCA,the RCI, and SMACNA its called She-Hit.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Its called a surface mount flashing. Its no good, it never has been any good, and it never will be any good. In Boston its called a Philadelphia Flashing. In Philadelphia its called a Boston flashing, and in the NRCA,the RCI, and SMACNA its called She-Hit.
And here we have a winner. Jim is correct. Tear/cut out 8" of stucco, do roof and flashing, repair the stucco.

Sounds like a lot, huh? Do it the other way and when you have to make repairs and fix a lot of rotted wood for nearly, or even more than what the roof originally cost, you'll see the true benefit of doing it correctly the first time.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
And here we have a winner. Jim is correct. Tear/cut out 8" of stucco, do roof and flashing, repair the stucco.

Sounds like a lot, huh? Do it the other way and when you have to make repairs and fix a lot of rotted wood for nearly, or even more than what the roof originally cost, you'll see the true benefit of doing it correctly the first time.
I hear what you're saying. After I posted this I have looked at a few more around here, and almost all of them are done on the surface. I suspect the reason why people get away with it around here it because it's so dry most of the year. In fact, now that I think about it, I have never heard anyone talking about rotted wood around here, due to any cause.
garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote