Poor Workmanship...How Should This Vinyl Siding Have Been Attached? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Poor workmanship...How should this vinyl siding have been attached?

Hi,

So I come home to find a 12' piece of siding cracked and dangling off my 7 year old home. This piece was the top piece and was slide under the aluminum fascia and there was NO GLUE, NAILS, NOTHING holding it up!!!
It was friction fit under the aluminum.

Good job contractors! NOT.

So now I will have to call a professional out, pull down some siding to replace this side since vinyl siding wont match. So...$300??

A-holes builder and siding contractor (sorry for the rant)

How should this top course have been held in place? The picture shows it after I out it back for the remainder of the winter.
I have another top piece on the other side of the home...and I was going to pull it and liquid nails it to the tyvek underneath.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor workmanship...How should this vinyl siding have been attached?-siding1.jpg  

Advertisement

kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Pictures not clear enough to be 100 % so I'll guess and tell you how I do it and never had a piece fallout.
I use a piece of under sill, also called utility trim install upside down where the top of that last piece needs to go.
Cut your siding so it will fit all the way up into the utility trim.
Punch tabs at the top with a Snap Lok tool making sure the tabs are facing out.
Not the piece will just snap into place and never come out.
You never want to glue or face nail vinyl siding, it's going to buckle up.
http://malcoproducts.com/product/roo...lock-punches-a

Why can not reuse the piece you have now?

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 874

Agree with Joe.There should be a vinyl J channel under your soffit.The utility trim fits up inside of it.The punch he spoke of is available at HD .
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

You never want to glue or face nail vinyl siding, it's going to buckle up.
http://malcoproducts.com/product/roo...lock-punches-a

Why can not reuse the piece you have now?[/QUOTE]

Hi....and again sorry for the rant.

Unfortunately the piece was only holding on by about 2' and the other 10' was bent over and vertical. The bottom edge of siding was cracked and there was crease in the vinyl. So about 9' is salvagible.

I do have spare siding, but of course it wont match for a few years due to weathering....but Im deciding in my mind whether I care enough about it not matching versus pulling some weathered siding off of the garage side and then putting the new piece.

I can see how *not* allowing the siding to expand/contract will cause issues.

Now that I saw some pictures of the utility channel...its just that... a channel.....so is it just friction that holds the piece in place? That doesnt seem any different than the slot created by the aluminum fascia/tyvek sandwich I have now.

It seems in either case the interlocking flange at the bottom edge into the lower piece top edge is all that holds the piece on (with the sandwich, friction fit at the top edge)??

Or am I still confused? (happens a lot!)

Thanks

Last edited by kree; 02-22-2014 at 06:54 PM.
kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 664

Confused, reread the post, seem to be missing the part about having to use the snap lock punch that will make the tabs making it impossible to remove without using a zipper tool.
Key it the tabs need to be facing out.
I just look at the punch and make sure the hole is facing me. When you have the tool in hand you'll see what I'm talking about.