Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Plywood Under New Shingles

Hello Everyone,

I am here because I currently have a giant hole in my ceiling. We recently (2 weeks ago) re-did the entire roof, and unfortunately did not put enough of the tar around one of the flashings. After a day of intense rain we had water dripping out of the ceiling and down the wall. We have since stopped the leak and removed all of the damaged insulation/plastic etc in the ceiling. (p.s we do not have an attic, it is just ceiling-insulation-roof no spaces) My question is, the plywood under the shingles got damaged as well, and seeing as how we just put thousands of dollars and lots of time into re-doing the roof we really do not want to have to take off the brand new shingles to change the plywood. Is there some type of fix for this? That may be a loaded question, but I am a little desperate here! I am worried about future damage. Thank you!!
jpg667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

There is no magic wand for this one. Shingles have to go.
I would love to know what you were using roof tar for on a new roof.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #3

Why was tar put around any roof penetrations on a brand new roof?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

It might not be tar, I do not know all the lingo for roof material, I am here because my husband thinks he knows best. Due to the water in my bedroom, he obviously doesnt. Around the pipes for the furnace I believe? We had several pipes where shingles had to be cut to fit, there wasnt enough of whatever sealer you need for that.
jpg667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

That's just it, done right there would not have been any sealer needed.
Any type of "sealer" will be (as you have seen) the first place to leak.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

You need to install proper flashings around roof penetrations, not any type of tar if you want it not to leak.

ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

No tar, asphalt, or other sealant is to be used on the roof. That leak is the result of using it. Remove the shingles and 'sealant' around each collar and install pipe collars instead.
These are large collars here, but no different than small ones. Run shingles until they're passing the pipe, install collar and the rest of the shingles.

http://www.albertsroofing.com/Power%20Vent%20Installation.htm

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

If multiple layers are removed during a tear off the furnace flashing is usually annihilated by multiple fasteners.Its always a good idea to inspect the flashing before reuse.But for some reason roofers in my area seem to reuse all components when doing a reroof.

But as the others said no significant amount of "Tar" should be used on a new roof.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Only tar I use goes at bottom of the pipe flashing,,and flashing sets into it,,can be helpful to prevent leaks that can be caused by driving rain

the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote