DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Plywood replacment

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  the roofing god 
#1 ·
I posted this on another forum and thought I should ask here as well.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How common is it on a standard tear off? Do you end up usually replacing a few sheets on average? I know it's on a case by case basis, but I mean in general.

How do you remove the old plywood? Saw, rip and yank? Pull the nails?

Is 1/2 sheathing rated ply the most common replacement?

Compared to tearing off and shingling, is the plywood replacement usually the slowest part of the job? Does it eat man hours?

I ask all this as I'm finishing my roof and that's what I found, the plywood replacement killed my momentum. I tore off fast, and shingled fairly fast, but the in between replacement (along with some plumbing venting corrections I had to rectify since the plywood was removed) took forever. Not to mention, with a hammer and handful of nails, it took a long time nailing them in. I have a roofing gun, but no other nailer.

When I had estimates a year or two ago, I was quoted around $53 a sheet to replace during the roofing job. Is that in the ballpark for what you guys (professionals) charge?

Thanks

Tony

See less See more
#2 ·
If the roof is done correctly the first time, there should be no replacment of the Sheathing having to be done. As for the replacement time, it is usually figured in for the "Just in Case" instances.

For example, I have a 65+ year old house that has 1x8 boards instead of Ply, and there are a couple of places the we know where there will be replacement done. Instead of replacing with Pine, it will be with 3/4" Exterior grade Ply.

#3 ·
"I posted this on another forum and thought I should ask here as well.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++"

How common is it on a standard tear off?

"VERY"

Do you end up usually replacing a few sheets on average?

Yes

I know it's on a case by case basis, but I mean in general.

How do you remove the old plywood? Saw, rip and yank? Pull the nails?

YES

Is 1/2 sheathing rated ply the most common replacement?

YES

Compared to tearing off and shingling, is the plywood replacement usually the slowest part of the job?
Not really, Waiting to be paid seems to be the slowest part:whistling2:

Does it eat man hours?:laughing:

yes, and it sucks too. But it does not feell as good. If ya know what I mean.:laughing::)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.