Plywood/ Osb Scraps For Sheathing? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

plywood/ osb scraps for sheathing?

hello

i bought a condemned house and just framed out a bastard hip roof over a small (20x8) section of my house. i am now ready to add sheathing. i am trying to rebuild this house out of as many salvaged materials and other peoples "garbage" as possible. i've collected many osb and plywood scraps from construction site dumpsters, some almost whole sheets, some about a quarter of a whole sheet. i'm aware that this will take longer than putting full boards up, but i'm ok with that. i'm also aware that osb edges fray once cut and that plywood scraps probably hold up better on the edges. so i have a few questions:

1. is the strength in board materials like osb and plywood in it's span, or can i put the scraps up there and still be ok? (and will that pass inspection?)

2. i am planning on using a metal roof, corrugated or standing seam, with a breathable synthetic underlayment. if i want a breathable system so water doesn't get trapped, is there a better sheathing option than others?

3. when i put the sheathing on, should there be a slight gap between the edges to allow for expansion and contraction?

thanks!! -nicole

Advertisement

nicole21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

How big are these scraps ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Where are you located ?

How big are these scraps ?
<
i've collected many osb and plywood scraps from construction site dumpsters, some almost whole sheets, some about a quarter of a whole sheet. >

We always saved any pc. 2ft. and larger until the house was finished. It is easier when you have at least one factory edge. You can use those tiny pieces at the very top of your hip roof.
Gaps; we used an eight penny nail's width or if using plywood clips, the clip is the gap.
I'd just be concerned about if that scrap got wet and has swelled or it had been sitting so long it turned grey.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21 View Post
hello

i bought a condemned house and just framed out a bastard hip roof over a small (20x8) section of my house. i am now ready to add sheathing. i am trying to rebuild this house out of as many salvaged materials and other peoples "garbage" as possible. i've collected many osb and plywood scraps from construction site dumpsters, some almost whole sheets, some about a quarter of a whole sheet. i'm aware that this will take longer than putting full boards up, but i'm ok with that. i'm also aware that osb edges fray once cut and that plywood scraps probably hold up better on the edges. so i have a few questions:

1. is the strength in board materials like osb and plywood in it's span, or can i put the scraps up there and still be ok? (and will that pass inspection?)

2. i am planning on using a metal roof, corrugated or standing seam, with a breathable synthetic underlayment. if i want a breathable system so water doesn't get trapped, is there a better sheathing option than others?

3. when i put the sheathing on, should there be a slight gap between the edges to allow for expansion and contraction?

thanks!! -nicole
Plywood and OSB (oriented strand board) have to be laid so the original 8ft side is perpendicular to the rafters. Any piece should also bear on at least three rafters.

edit: as far as the inspection question, you'd better talk to the inspector before embarking.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Plywood and OSB (oriented strand board) have to be laid so the original 8ft side is perpendicular to the rafters. Any piece should also bear on at least three rafters.
Do the 8ft sides also have to lay on the cross 1x4 pieces?
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metal roof , salvage scraps , sheathing