Plywood Necessary On Top Of Old Tongue In Groove? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Plywood necessary on top of old tongue in groove?

I'm in the process of buying a 1953 cape that has very old worn asphalt shingles in need of replacing. From what I can see in the attic, there are no leaks or rot in the tongue in groove planks and it looks in fine shape. Assuming no rot, would it be advisable to still put plywood on top in order to assure that the new shingles nail securely and not potentially on a joint in the tongue in groove? I want to do this right, but like most people, have a budget. I will be doing most of the work myself with guidance from an experienced carpenter friend who suggested the ply - just looking for another opinion.

Advertisement

Frattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 660

If it's in good shape, then no there's no need for it.
I've done it when the old sheathing was not T&G and they used wood that was just filled with knots.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,290

+1

T&G is better than plywood for that matter.

If its in good shape, you are good. Just make sure they use the proper length fastener.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote