Please Help Me!!! - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please help me!!!

We live in the Buffalo, New York area and recently put a roof on our home with a local roofing company. We have had nothing but problems since its November installation. They have been back to our home almost a dozen times for repairs. You would die of laughter to see the gutter job they did. I am new here and will try my best to upload some pictures.

Our most recent problem is an active leak coming from the roof, through a crawl space that is insulated into the drywall in our first floor master bathroom. They sent a service rep out on Sunday to said that it could be coming from the HVAC pipe coming out of our roof above the bathroom. The service rep through a ton of tar down around the the pie and then said he found a few shiners-- or exposed nails-- he also through tar down on those too.

He said that the service manager would be coming out and when he called me said he thinking-- even though he has not yet been to the house to look--- that it is a problem with the pipe and not the work they did!! We have never had a leak before and find it odd that they have been up theres for hours upon hours already repairing our roof. This is the first set of "shiners" that they have tarred up either.

He comes later today and I know he will argue with me-- especially since there is interior damage and is going to cost to repair all the drywall and to prove that there isn't further damage in that crawlspace or mold growing in the insulation.

1. Our home is 12 years old, what are the chances that the leak is actually on account of the pipe going bad as opposed to the damage they could have done during the demo they did with a bunch of kids up on our roof or the installation of a new flange done incorrectly??

2. How many "shiners" or new nails do you feel should be exposed?? With a brand new, full tear off, 30 yr GAF Timberline shingle? (I think none

Thanks you so much for any feedback. I am going to try and post pictures of all of the rest of the problems that we have had that they say they have already repaired.. this has been the worst 8 month experience of our lives! Thanks in advance!!

Advertisement

terriblejob! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

Please help me!!!

* IS NOT* the first set of "shiners" that they have tarred up!

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 546

Please help me!!!

Should have been no shiners. And even there where some it should have been leaking until the nails rusted out.
Did the contract read, "replace flashing as needed" or "replace all flashing"
Huge difference.
This guy have insurance?
Look up in the attic in the day time you at the area where the leak is around that pipe. Should not be able to see day light.
If the rubber seal is rotted out around the pipe it should have been replaced not a bunch of tar on it.
terriblejob! (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,272

Please help me!!!

Don't take this too harshly, but, this just doesn't sound like any kind of professional roofing service I have ever seen. Throwing tar on some problem areas is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg. It's not any kind of long term fix. "Bunch of kids on the roof during demo" also sounds dubious. What kind of insurance certificate did they show you? Are they licensed and properly insured for your area?

I guess the positive in this is that they DO come back to try and repair the problems. At this point, keep working with them to make sure these things are corrected. It just sounds like they are at a loss on how to go about making the necessary fixes.

If they don't satisfy you and do the fixes, you will likely need a lawyer to recoup your money.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
terriblejob! (08-05-2014), Windows on Wash (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Please help me!!!

The way you describe things, they really don't appear to know what they are doing if they can't figure out what they did wrong.
I would always be nervous about any contractor who comes to fix their newly installed shingle roof with a bucket of mastic.

Was this a legitimate licensed contractor?

I would start by insisting that any place they smeared mastic or there are shiners be re-done properly. That is no permanent solution.
terriblejob! (08-05-2014), Windows on Wash (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

Please help me!!!

There is no doubt that we have been taken advantage of. They are licensed and insured-- and well known in the area-- and an A rating with the BBB. It does seem to me that they were trying to finish out the season and must have just grabbed extra help from anyone that could fill in.....that's my only guess.

We are at our wits end and are done being nice about the repairs but its a catch22--- we want to explode and sue but we also want them out here repairing what they screwed up especially with roofing contractors being booked up and the winter not too far out.

Their service manager has actually been great about coming up but again------ we shouldn't need this many repairs with a brand new roof!!

Trying to post pictures for you all to see-- at the very least-- they will entertain anyone that knows anything about roofing, sadly at our expense! It's only giving me the option to post photos via URL....any tips? Thanks everyone!

PS-- I take no offense at all to anyone saying that this does not sound like a reputable roofing company, that's the sad truth!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #7

Please help me!!!

/Users/Johnandandrea/Downloads/IMG_0060.JPG
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Please help me!!!

Did you read this?

How to attach a photo to a post
Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,158

Please help me!!!

If it were mine I would have had a lawyer on it long before this, the sooner you do the sooner your roof problem will be resolved.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #10

Please help me!!!

Question--- their argument has been that they reply to our phone calls immediately and that they always come to repair the problem as quickly as possible so are we in a bind since we allow them to come and repair? We are meeting with an attorney this week--- our worry is that since they fix the problems, what can our complaint be? What do we sue for? The full amount? Seeing that they continue to make repairs, I think it makes things complicated. We'll have to see what the lawyer says. Thanks OldNBroken--- no I didn't see those very clear and precise directions for posting pictures. I will add pictures tomorrow. I am so exhausted putting things together for the attorney and dealing with them!! Thanks again everyone!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Please help me!!!

They are issues that should never have happened. The fixes have all been band-aids. Sort of the kind of thing you would do to an old roof for a short period until they installers came out an put on a new roof. If this were my roof, I would insist on having the roof removed and redone. I suspect the problems you are having will continue to be problems down the road. In my book a new roof means new plumbing boots, new fan exhaust covers, new drip edge, felt, flashing and decking repair where required and properly applied shingles, it doesn't sound like much of this was done. I would be talking to your lawyer about redoing the entire roof, properly this time.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,158

Please help me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
They are issues that should never have happened. The fixes have all been band-aids. Sort of the kind of thing you would do to an old roof for a short period until they installers came out an put on a new roof. If this were my roof, I would insist on having the roof removed and redone. I suspect the problems you are having will continue to be problems down the road. In my book a new roof means new plumbing boots, new fan exhaust covers, new drip edge, felt, flashing and decking repair where required and properly applied shingles, it doesn't sound like much of this was done. I would be talking to your lawyer about redoing the entire roof, properly this time.

And by another contractor.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-06-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 234

Please help me!!!

simple, call another roofing contractor and get a written estimate for what its going to cost to fix his screw-ups and what he did wrong. then contract the registrar of contractors. they will set up a meeting at your home to look it over. the registrar isnt a idiot and will know himself what is wrong with your roof. he will give him so many days to fix it or he will let you hire some one else and make him pay for it.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hotrod351 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 234

Please help me!!!

but it really sound like you hired a un-lincensed contractor.

Advertisement

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote