Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Piece of shingle missing

A piece of shingle on my roof is missing. It seems not leaking. But I still a little bit worry about it. Should I call somebody in to fix it up, or somebody can give me some guide so I can fix it myself? Thanks so much in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Piece of shingle missing-shinglea.jpg  

Last edited by wind image; 03-28-2008 at 04:16 PM.
wind image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Piece of shingle missing

looks like it has been patched already....not quite right but it shouldn't leak.

johnrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

Piece of shingle missing

oh..you should change your name to wind damage
johnrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #4

Piece of shingle missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrem View Post
oh..you should change your name to wind damage
Wowhahahaha, quite right! It looks like wind damage.
Yea, looks like it has been pached, but I did find a piece of shingle in my back yard after snow melted. so..... what should I do?

Last edited by wind image; 03-28-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #5

Piece of shingle missing

We just moved in couple of months ago, I did not pay attention to it. Days ago, I found a piece of shingle in my back yard, so I looked around my house, found this spot. somebody help!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #6

Piece of shingle missing

Hello,
As already stated it has been patched. It is a very poor patch job(IMO).
Depending on the age of your roof the replaced tab could be the original shingle color but the rest of the roof has faded over the years.
Other than the asthetics(sp?) you should not have a problem.

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #7

Piece of shingle missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofboy View Post
Hello,
As already stated it has been patched. It is a very poor patch job(IMO).
Depending on the age of your roof the replaced tab could be the original shingle color but the rest of the roof has faded over the years.
Other than the asthetics(sp?) you should not have a problem.

Keith
Thank you so much. It's 10 years old.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #8

Piece of shingle missing

Hello,

No problem. Glad to help.

Keith
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Piece of shingle missing

If you know how to "Safely" climb on your roof an "Gently" use a flat pry bar, I would remove the nails from the shingles 2 rows above it. You do not have to remove that shingle, just the 4 nails in it and the nails on the adjoining shingle on the same course that butts up to it.

Then remove the nails and the shingle just below that one, which is the one immediately on top of the patched shingle. Then, finally remove that Gawd Awful Ugly patched shingle right in the line of sight.

Make sure you have the right color replacement shingle available at this time, or know where to take a sample to, relatively quick, so that you can replace it quickly.

It does not look like the previous patcher removed the shingles above it first. The probably just trimmed the corners to dog-ears and skid it in place and nailed it where it wound up.

That is probably the reason thet the bottom edge of the patched shingle rest just a little bit further down than the rest of the remaining row of the course it is in. It looks like that pushed in shingle also created a slight hump under the one above it too.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #10

Piece of shingle missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
If you know how to "Safely" climb on your roof an "Gently" use a flat pry bar, I would remove the nails from the shingles 2 rows above it. You do not have to remove that shingle, just the 4 nails in it and the nails on the adjoining shingle on the same course that butts up to it.

Then remove the nails and the shingle just below that one, which is the one immediately on top of the patched shingle. Then, finally remove that Gawd Awful Ugly patched shingle right in the line of sight.

Make sure you have the right color replacement shingle available at this time, or know where to take a sample to, relatively quick, so that you can replace it quickly.

It does not look like the previous patcher removed the shingles above it first. The probably just trimmed the corners to dog-ears and skid it in place and nailed it where it wound up.

That is probably the reason thet the bottom edge of the patched shingle rest just a little bit further down than the rest of the remaining row of the course it is in. It looks like that pushed in shingle also created a slight hump under the one above it too.

Ed
Thank you guys very very much! It's very helpful.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #11

Piece of shingle missing

Hello,

Ed - I have seen patch jobs like this here in AK. They are done that way because the the roof has been hand-tabbed(manually sealed). The h/o could do more damage to the roof if this is the case.
Wind Image- Eds assessment for replacing the tab is right on. I would check to see if you roof was hand-tabbed before replacing the shingle.

Keith
Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #12

Piece of shingle missing

Quote:
Hello,

Ed - I have seen patch jobs like this here in AK. They are done that way because the the roof has been hand-tabbed(manually sealed). The h/o could do more damage to the roof if this is the case.
Wind Image- Eds assessment for replacing the tab is right on. I would check to see if you roof was hand-tabbed before replacing the shingle.

Keith
got it ! very appeciate.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #13

Piece of shingle missing

Quote:
Hello,

Keith
Thanks Keith,

Good potential observation. You are definitely right. If the shingles are cemented together with extra mastic, they would tear when trying to lift them with the flat bar.

Thanks for catching that possibility.

Ed
Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #14

Piece of shingle missing

wow,both you guys are so professional.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #15

Piece of shingle missing

Why thank you very much too.

That is the ultimate compliment and means a lot to me, especially when multiple contractors can join in, primarily with the common cause of helping others out, without letting ego get in the way to prove who is "More Right" than the other.

Sincerely,

Ed