Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |

*PICS* Advise Needed: Exposed Nails and Bad Gutters

I had a roofing company install a new roof on my house today. For the most part, it looks great, but I did notice two problems.

1. I noticed they nailed two nails through the "bottom" part of the shingle under the little overhang I have. You can see the exposed nail. The nails are also not flush. It's like the nail gun would only fit at an angle. You can see the area I'm talking about in the attached picture. To me, this is totally incorrect. IMO, there should never be exposed nails and the lower half of the shingle should never be nailed into. Am I correct? Am I also correct that I should have them replace the shingles instead of put caulk in the holes?

2. They completely screwed up my existing gutters. The gutters are hung using straps that attach to the decking. Well, when they removed the old shingles they also popped up the nails in some of the hangers. When I got home, the gutters look like crap. They now slope away from the downspouts and also away from the house. It's not even close to correct. I assume they should be more than willing to fix this...right? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
*PICS* Advise Needed: Exposed Nails and Bad Gutters-nails.jpg   *PICS* Advise Needed: Exposed Nails and Bad Gutters-gutters.jpg  

Mike06271980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

They should have used a palm nailer under the eaves.Gutter should be an easy fix,as long as it is not all dented.Call them and express your concerns,any good company would have no problem coming out to fix it up.

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #3

I'm meeting with the job supervisor today since I wasn't home when they finished. I haven't paid a dime yet, so hopefully it won't be an issue to get these things resolved.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Hi, the roofing company should have told you that your gutters would get screwed up if there were hanging gutters. Truth be told there is no reason for hanging gutters on your house. We install gutters with hidden brackets all the time with your type fascia, it takes one extra step but can easily be done. If I were your roofer I would have included new gutters with the roof, as is always my practice when there are hanging gutters. Sometimes this costs me jobs, but I'd rather lose a job and let the customer complain to some other roofer.

"shiners" or exposed nails are only alowed in very very few circumstances and must always be caulked with a polyurethane based sealant such as Vulkem or Solar Seal. The nails where you indicated are wrong and I would have no clue why they'd be put there.

Is it just my eyes or do I see 3 tab in the first picture and architectural in the 2nd picture? Why would you have two types of shingles on your house?!

I agree with John, a good company would fix these mistakes. Mistakes happen and what sets a good company apart from a bad is how those mistakes are dealt with.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Is it just my eyes or do I see 3 tab in the first picture and architectural in the 2nd picture? Why would you have two types of shingles on your house?!
That's the first thing I noticed as well. If the 3 tabs are the old roof, it looks in pretty good shape, and I'd wonder why it needed replacement?

I agree with John, a good company would fix these mistakes. Mistakes happen and what sets a good company apart from a bad is how those mistakes are dealt with.
Truer words have never been spoken.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

My guess is storm chaser promising a free roof.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi, the roofing company should have told you that your gutters would get screwed up if there were hanging gutters.
They told me they wouldn't touch the gutters. I watched them pop the nails in the hangers when doing the tear off. I don't like that type of hanger either, but they were on the house when I bought it. I wouldn't have had a problem if they told me they wanted to use the screw in hangers to the fascia. Just don't reinstall the gutters wrong.

Quote:
The new shingles are the architecturals. The 3 tabs are an old picture I had that showed the area I was talking about.

Quote:
I agree. Hopefully they say "Sorry about that, we'll get these fixed right away."
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
My guess is storm chaser promising a free roof.
This is a local company that has been in business for several years. I interviewed four companies. I got two recommendations from friends that used this company. I also had a friend who works for another roofing company tell me this company does good work.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #9

Screws should be use in gutter brackets,not nails as they tend to back out.Just banging them back in,is a temporary fix.

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote