Peel & Seal Roof Coating - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Peel & Seal Roof Coating

i have an aluminum roof on my mobile home. it looks like the previous owner coated it in KoolSeal, from the copious amount of white putty-looking stuff on it. Ive used KoolSeal in the past, and in my opinion it is total crap. There is one spot, over the guest bath, that looks like someone really heavy stepped between rafters and nearly put their foot through the roof, it is dipped down really far and, as i found out last night, it has a leak. the ceiling panel is falling around the hole, and the fixture is hanging. my dad recommended this product to me, and said if i just put it over the dipped-down section, it would permanently cure the leak. Has anyone else used this product? Would it work for my problem?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...r|1&facetInfo=

If the link doesnt work, its a Lowes product called Peel & Seal 6" x 25' Mastic Roof Coating

By the way im in East Texas

Advertisement

Last edited by firsttimeremode; 09-17-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add location
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Peel & Seal Roof Coating

May or may not work.
Got a picture of where the roof is failing?

The seams on a mobil home interlock, if someone steped down hard enough and it came compleatly unlocked that type of patch over the hole is not going to work.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Peel & Seal Roof Coating

i dont have a picture of it yet, i can get one tonight though. Its not an actual hole, that i would have noticed right away. Its just a dent where someone stepped on it and apparently broke a seam. But its not a huge break, because we had flash flood warning last night, raining so hard it knocked out our power, and when i went out there this morning, there was some water on the vanity top and a little in the sink, and the insulation under the ceiling panel was wet. If the break had been very big, i would have a lot more water and im sure a lot on the floor, and there was none on the floor.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #4

Peel & Seal Roof Coating

i do have this pic that shows where the water was this morning
Attached Thumbnails
Peel & Seal Roof Coating-2nd-bath-leak.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 664

Peel & Seal Roof Coating

A picture of where the water landed does not help. Need on of the roof.

You stated you hate Cool Seal. Read the can it's more to reflect solor rays, and help prevent the roof from rusting not to seal roof leaks or patch holes.
It should say right on the can what to do and what products to use of there's rust through or roof damage before applying the Cool Seal.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

Peel & Seal Roof Coating

it doesnt matter what KoolSeal is for, it sucks. It is costly and only lasts two years at max, as stated on the can, and ive yet to have it last even an eighth of that time. There is no rust, its actually in really good condition, it just needs some flashing around the top edge and this one dent repaired.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #7

Peel & Seal Roof Coating

so has anyone actually USED this product? is it any good? How well does it stick?

Advertisement