Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Share |

Patio overhang cleaning/patching

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have a couple questions about my patio overhang.

First, it's in dire need of cleaning (been getting worse and worse since I moved in). Hosing it down from one of the 2nd story windows or from a ladder only gets rid of the leaves & twigs but isn't nearly powerful enough to clean the panels. Definitely needs a good hand scrubbing. Looking at the pictures, should it be OK if I get up there and do it myself as long as I keep my weight in line with the beams? I'm about 220 lbs. Any particular cleaning solution I should use? Otherwise I'm just thinking diluted dish soap.

Second, it needs patching in a couple locations (leaks). Here's one of the leaky spots (shot from above):

Looks like a triangle shaped piece of one of the panels has been knocked out right at a seam. This is the worst of the 3 or so leaks. I was hoping I could just use a rubber sealant (e.g. Flexseal, Leakseal), spraying it on liberally from above (although making sure you can't see it from the bottom) and see how that holds. Stupid idea or give it a shot?

(yeah my siding probably needs cleaning too right?)

vae_victis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #2

Got AFLAC?
That is one poorly built roof system.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #3

OK, how do i fix it up then? I'd rather not dismantle the whole thing.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Take your extension ladder apart, and lie a section of it across your supports parallel to and about 8 inches from your house. Drive a few 10d nails into the supports on the low side to keep the ladder from slipping. Place a plank or two on the ladder rungs for a walk platform across the back of your house. Mix up some dish detergent, Bleach and TSP and go to work on your siding and lights with a soft broom. Watch out for thrust from PW.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

Is that glass or plexi or lexan?

Either way it appears to be flat sheets of plexi (doute its glass or lexan based on the cost) sitting ontop of the wood frame. Then they attached a vertical wood batten to cover the seems in the plexi.

Imo, i would remove it and install the clear the corigated stuff they sell and HD or Lowes. At least it will be full sheets the length of the rafters and have a side lap. Those wood batten on the top concern me, potential for leaks is high + those will just rot.

If its glass i wouldnt get on it, just use a tall ladder and a long handled soft broom with detergent in a bucket. I would be more inclined to remove the clear "stuff" and install something that is of continuous length ( wall to fascia) and has a side lap. If you get a lot of snow forget what i said, the snow load would collapse it.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (02-11-2013), joecaption (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
Is that glass or plexi or lexan?

Either way it appears to be flat sheets of plexi (doute its glass or lexan based on the cost) sitting ontop of the wood frame. Then they attached a vertical wood batten to cover the seems in the plexi.

Imo, i would remove it and install the clear the corigated stuff they sell and HD or Lowes. At least it will be full sheets the length of the rafters and have a side lap. Those wood batten on the top concern me, potential for leaks is high + those will just rot.

If its glass i wouldnt get on it, just use a tall ladder and a long handled soft broom with detergent in a bucket. I would be more inclined to remove the clear "stuff" and install something that is of continuous length ( wall to fascia) and has a side lap. If you get a lot of snow forget what i said, the snow load would collapse it.
Yeah it is individual plexiglass panels. Some kind of silicone(?) sealant at the seams.

Just so i understand, you're suggesting replacing the plexi with those plastic ridged pieces, running perpendicular to the house? What about the seams between them? Would they overlap (like shingles)? How transparent can those things be? It's vital for allowing natural light into the main floor. Can't really do it if it's opaque. We don't get much snow but get tons of rain.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Metal Roofing

It is clear

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

It overlaps on the side laps and the head lap if your rafter length exceeds the panel length. Use the enclosure that matches the panel profile and attach it with screws.

This is exactly what this product is designed for. I have it on part of mine to give the doggies shelter if they so desire it. Mine are not clear, but its the same product...it comes in a few colors.

oh and thank you for providing an abundance of pics, it helps a ton.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 02-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote