Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


I have a 12' x 16' (192sqft) patio and a 26' x 12' (312sqft) carport attached to my house. Part of both roofs are leaking which has resulted in some water damage to the joists & beams holding the patio up. We're selling the house, so obviously the roofs and damaged structure has to be fixed.

I've had some general contractors estimate the entire job, (structural, roofing, and painting) and their prices seem pretty high. One bid is fairly reasonable, but still high enough to make me think about DIY'ing some parts of the project.

The estimates I received are based on Torch-down roofing, and I'm curious as to whether that's the best option and if so, why. Based on a ballpark figure that I got from a roofing contractor, Torch-down seems very expensive. He said $1500-$2000...

Does this sound reasonable, or should I try a few companies?

I'm not interested in trying to DIY a Torch-down, but I am curious about some of the peel & stick products out there. Are they satisfactory for outdoor covered patio areas?

Also, what would be the reccomended slope on these areas? Right now, the patio has too much slope and the carport is flat. I have a way to adjust each of them, but need to know how much slope is reccomended.

wdj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing
 
AaronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 927
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by wdj03 View Post
I have a 12' x 16' (192sqft) patio and a 26' x 12' (312sqft) carport attached to my house. Part of both roofs are leaking which has resulted in some water damage to the joists & beams holding the patio up. We're selling the house, so obviously the roofs and damaged structure has to be fixed.

I've had some general contractors estimate the entire job, (structural, roofing, and painting) and their prices seem pretty high. One bid is fairly reasonable, but still high enough to make me think about DIY'ing some parts of the project.
What do you base your opinions on? Have you gitten other work like this done and know the approximate costs involved? Or is it more than you want to spend?

__________________
www.roseroofing.net/ Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing
 
AaronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 927
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by wdj03 View Post
The estimates I received are based on Torch-down roofing, and I'm curious as to whether that's the best option and if so, why. Based on a ballpark figure that I got from a roofing contractor, Torch-down seems very expensive. He said $1500-$2000...
Again....see above.

Although, when I see a ballpark instead of a firm number on a specific scope of work, I wonder why.
__________________
www.roseroofing.net/ Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing
 
AaronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 927
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by wdj03 View Post
I'm not interested in trying to DIY a Torch-down, but I am curious about some of the peel & stick products out there. Are they satisfactory for outdoor covered patio areas?
Not if you want these areas to be leak-free. You need 1/2" per foot minimum slope for self adhered membranes, I believe. I have never trusted anything without a heat bonded seam or a seam tape. I do not trust them for my customers, and now we are starting to hear a bunch of roof failure horror stories.
__________________
www.roseroofing.net/ Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
What do you base your opinions on? Have you gitten other work like this done and know the approximate costs involved? Or is it more than you want to spend?
I did an extensive remodel of my house about 5 years ago, I work in industrial engineering/construction, and I have close relatives that are realtors, home inspectors, landlords, and home builders.

I do know the approximate costs for structural and painting. I don't know the approximate costs or options for roofing. That's why I'm here.

If the roofing portion is a large component of the price, then I don't stand to save much by doing the structural work myself and will probably pay for the whole job. If the roofing portion is smaller, then I do stand to save myself a chunk of money by doing the structural myself.
wdj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
Again....see above.

Although, when I see a ballpark instead of a firm number on a specific scope of work, I wonder why.
It was purely a phone conversation, and I wouldn't expect anyone to give me a firm price without seeing the job.

Understand - I'm not at the point of trying to compare bids or select a contractor, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what the roofing portion of the job costs so I can decide what I want to pay for and what I want to DIY..

I don't need to know what the exact price for the roofing will be right now, I just need to know a rough idea of how this stuff is priced.

If someone asked what tile costs, I'd say about $3-$4 per foot.

If someone asked about carpet, I'd say $10/yard...

Is adequate outdoor patio roofing $100 per square or $500 per square?
wdj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
Not if you want these areas to be leak-free. You need 1/2" per foot minimum slope for self adhered membranes, I believe. I have never trusted anything without a heat bonded seam or a seam tape. I do not trust them for my customers, and now we are starting to hear a bunch of roof failure horror stories.
My local HomeD hadn't even heard of the stuff anyway...

1/2" per foot makes sense.. Right now my patio has excessive slope of about 1" or more per 1' and as mentioned, the carport is flat..

Also, I talked to my contractor and he said that they weren't planning on torch-down. They were going to do something called cold mop.. Any thoughts on that for a warm climate with no snow?
wdj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Commercial Roofing
 
AaronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 927
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Patio & Carport Advice


Bad if youre going to be walking on it.

Find a polyurea applicator in your area. Asphaltics are soft in the sunshine..bad for foot traffic. Mod bits are asphaltic, cold mop, too (mostly)

I would like to see something anti-skid, waterproof, durable, puntcure resistant, long-lasting, visually appealing. Polyureas can do all this for you. I would go direct-to-deck if the deck is plywood and youre not looking for insulation value within the roof assembly.

__________________
www.roseroofing.net/ Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slumped patio fix ?? houser Building & Construction 5 03-18-2010 06:25 AM
Patio cover Jackhammer Building & Construction 3 07-10-2007 03:49 PM
Cement Patio Deteriorating..? DeepDish Building & Construction 6 05-09-2007 10:03 PM
Patio Door Advice Mikedks Remodeling 2 12-18-2006 09:31 AM
New Patio & Weep Screed Woes DeepDish Building & Construction 3 12-03-2006 08:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.