Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #1

Share |

patching corrugated plastic sun roof?

hi. great forum here! i'm just a weekend handyman and i have a question. the guy that built my garage put up a section of corrugated plastic to make a big sun roof (see attached pic - it's not my roof but this is what the sun roof is made of). the problem is there are now holes in it and it leaks when it rains. is it possible to patch this stuff? if so, how? i don't want to have to replace the any of it and i don't really mind if the patches look ugly or block out the sun as there's only about 5 or so holes, maybe the size of silver dollars or smaller.

thanks for any help!

liverlipsyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Get another sheet of the material at the home center. It's pretty cheap. Cut a rectangular piece slightly bigger than the hole you want to patch. Use a good clear caulk (http://www.grantlogancopper.com/adhe...ategory_id=113) and run a bead around the perimeter of the hole. Set the patch in it and caulk around the perimeter of the patch. You'll hardly notice it's there.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Get another sheet of the material at the home center. It's pretty cheap. Cut a rectangular piece slightly bigger than the hole you want to patch. Use a good clear caulk (http://www.grantlogancopper.com/adhe...ategory_id=113) and run a bead around the perimeter of the hole. Set the patch in it and caulk around the perimeter of the patch. You'll hardly notice it's there.
thanks! if i can't find the same material can i just use some clear acrylic or something?
liverlipsyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverlipsyyz View Post
thanks! if i can't find the same material can i just use some clear acrylic or something?
Ten four.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

CU has the ideal suggestion. If you cannot find the same profile then use some fiberglas mesh. I would recommend using a trowel-on Geocel to coat the patches.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CD0Q8wIwBA#

Your material looks like Lexan, not plastic. Which is surprising because Lexan is generally a very strong material.
Try to do it on a calm day with no wind as any debris gets blown around there is going to get stuck in the sealant.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote