Patch Vent Holes While Reroofing? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 154
Question

Patch vent holes while reroofing?

Going to get a new roof put on my one story brick rancher. Probably with a ridge vent. We already have large gable end vents on the east and west ends of the house. And soffit vents along the sides of the house.

We have one old gas furnace exhaust pipe and three passive 'mushroom' vents going through the roof now.

The old gas furnace exhaust pipe goes from the crawl space up through the roof. The furnace was removed long ago.

The three passive mushroom vents don't seem to do much good. There is a lot of rock wool and loose fiberglass insulation in the attic. Ii may be that the insulation is blocking airflow through the soffit vents.

• Should we get the roofer to patch all four holes in the roof before putting the new roof on?
  • How can we test/insure that insulation is not blocking the airways of the soffit vents?
Attached Thumbnails
Patch vent holes while reroofing?-old-gas-firnace-vent.jpg   Patch vent holes while reroofing?-passive-mushroom-vent.jpg   Patch vent holes while reroofing?-attic-insulation.jpg  

Advertisement

John_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 83

Yes you should get the roofer to patch the holes.

You can check if your soffit is clogged by getting up in the attic and crawling to the edge to see.

Advertisement

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdemon View Post
Yes you should get the roofer to patch the holes.

You can check if your soffit is clogged by getting up in the attic and crawling to the edge to see.
Its really hard to get to the area where the soffits are through the attic. The roof has a very small pitch. And I would be pushing a lot of insulation around, possibly reducing its effectiveness.

If I take the vents off, would I be able to check from the outside? Or, maybe some way of checking for adequate air flow into the vents? I might even go so far as to remove the soffits entirely, since some of them have rot that needs to be fixed.

Is there a way to add for-sure ventilation channels up through the soffit vents and extending well up into the attic, past the top of the blown in insulation? Some sort of flexible tubes maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Patch vent holes while reroofing?-soffit-vents.jpg   Patch vent holes while reroofing?-gable-vent.jpg  
John_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 83

You should be able to see (or at least feel around) inside if you take your soffit vent off.
And yes, there are soffit baffles you can buy, you staple them to the underside of your roof sheathing. They are about 3.5' long and deliver air from your soffit vent, past the insulation and into the attic space.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcdemon For This Useful Post:
John_W (08-27-2011)