Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Owens Corning Recall

Got a letter from OC saying that there are problems with the Duration shingle made at the Summit,IL. plant. This does not apply to me or my area but im on there certified roofer list so I was notified. Buyer beware or call 1-800-766-3464.
"Take due notice thereoff and govern yourself accordingly."

RooferJim

RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #2

Owens Corning Recall

RooferJim,

I was in a discussion with a rep from OC on another roofing related forum and here is his response to my query about the Duration problems.

Ed

Quote; from OCJim
About the recall:
I did post this info a couple of posts ago.If you were not on the roof hammering and were in front of your computer you would have read it - sorry I could not resist.
THERE SHOULD BE NONE OF THIS MATERIAL OUT THERE FOR YOU TO GET
We have aggressively picked up and swapped out the material.We have also been crystal clear with everybody in the supply chain to not sell it.
To recap:
At our Summit (Chicago) plant we installed a new laminator that saves one step in the production process by not flipping every other shingle to stack them back to back. In this process you wind up stacking them front to back in the bundle.To make this work you put the silicone release tape on the front of the shingle. Several other companys do this with their new machines,also, and we had no problems with the Oakridge shingles we have made with this process.The problem came up with the Duration Shingles because the release tape and the Sure-nail strip lined up.
We quickly got 5 complaints about leaks-all on low-slope (4 or 5/12)-during hard wind driven rain. We brought in the Techies,found the problem, and stopped production.All the areas that were serviced out of the plant are now serviced from another plant which-like all the plants except Summit- have the release tape on the back.We have also taken care of the roofs in question.All of the Duration made by the Summit plant is now on the way back to it. We have provided the admin of this site the press release about this- it goes into further detail and they can post it.
Jim

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 4

Owens Corning Recall

I didn't know they had a plant in summit. Summit is like 67th and harlem. Actually the town is west of harlem.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #4

Owens Corning Recall

You can smell it from just driving by the "Argo" starch plant in the next town over. That starch smell wreaks!!!

Ed
Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
KMG

Owens Corning Recall

Hi Roofer Jim,
Where can we find more information about the Duration shingle recall? I have looked everywhere on the internet, including Owen Corning website, and have found nothing about it except here.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #6

Angry

Owens Corning Recall

I AM PISSED!!!

I paid top dollar for a new roof, and paid extra for these new Duration shingles. I put up with construction only to have to do it all over again due to LEAKING SHINGLES! GREAT NEW DESIGN OWENS CORNING... In my opinion anyone who uses these shingles needs to see his doctor first.
JCFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #7

Owens Corning Recall

What were the problems you had with the shingles?

Also, could you submit some photos of the associated problems so we could all see them?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 07-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #8

Owens Corning Recall

Hello to everyone out there. I'm getting ready to get my roof replaced and one roofer wants to use the Owens Corning Duration 30 year shingle and another wants to use the GAF/ELK Timberline 30 year shingle. Is there any real difference between the two?

Thanks for any input
SpacenetPhil
Spacenet Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #9

Owens Corning Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFAMILY View Post
I AM PISSED!!!

I paid top dollar for a new roof, and paid extra for these new Duration shingles. I put up with construction only to have to do it all over again due to LEAKING SHINGLES! GREAT NEW DESIGN OWENS CORNING... In my opinion anyone who uses these shingles needs to see his doctor first.
Read what this recent poster had to say about the OC Duration Shingles.

I have not installed any OC shingles in about 7-8 years, so my on hands experience and point of view on them is obtained from other peoples comments. Hmmm, maybe there is a reason that I have't used them for so long.

Ed
Old 07-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
registered

Rewards Points: 4

Owens Corning Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenet Phil View Post
Hello to everyone out there. I'm getting ready to get my roof replaced and one roofer wants to use the Owens Corning Duration 30 year shingle and another wants to use the GAF/ELK Timberline 30 year shingle. Is there any real difference between the two?

Thanks for any input
SpacenetPhil
I had one roofer offer those during a bid on my sisters roof he was out of the game before he got in it. He tried telling me those were good as landmarks

Go with Certainteed landmark 30 or Tamko heritage 30 is my advice. Third place wood be gaf timberlines.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Owens Corning Recall

gaf/elk timberline /prestique high definition 30 years shingles are the best of the 3 choices,not the least-from a working roofer with over 30 years hands on experience,who also uses the other two suggested when necessary

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #12

Owens Corning Recall

Yep, I had problems with these too! I bought some Durations last year from my local dealer, and found out that when I needed more to finish the job that they were no longer available.

I ended up having to tear off the few square that I had already put up & used Oakridge 30 instead. I was upset at the time, but now I guess I'm glad I didn't use the Durations.
AceRoofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #13

Owens Corning Recall

I am having to have new roof installed here in the humid South (Louisiana)
I was presented with 2 choices by a reputable company: Certainteed Landmark 30yrs or Owens Corning "Oakridge Shingles"! Whats the verdict on these??? Can anybody tell me?
After reading the posts I have become quite rattled as to what to pick!
Thanks, new to the forum......
sohnesmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #14

Owens Corning Recall

Whats to be rattled about. Every quality oriented roofer will always state that Certainteed Landmarks are one of the best shingles available.

Plus, I don't think that the Oakridge are Algae Resistant.....?

Ed
Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #15

Owens Corning Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Whats to be rattled about. Every quality oriented roofer will always state that Certainteed Landmarks are one of the best shingles available.

Plus, I don't think that the Oakridge are Algae Resistant.....?

Ed
Thanks, Ed.........

sohnesmutter is offline   Reply With Quote