Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #1

Share |

Overhang without soffits?

Just bought my first house last week. Built in 1986. During the inspection of the attic my inspector told me I should pull back the fiberglass insulation batting from the overhang to create soffit airflow. The roof has a ridge vent along the entire length as well as three gable vents. From the outside of the house, which has fairly new vinyl siding, you can see great soffit perforations every few feet under the overhangs. So I was optimistic that I had a fairly straightforward task ahead of me and could improve airflow and reduce the attic temp.

This morning I went into the attic and started pulling back the insulation from the overhang. But I could see with a flashlight that the overhang is covered by plywood, so the vinyl siding soffit vents are apparently useless! I pulled back the insulation from about seven continuous eaves and found the same story.... solid plywood and no actual vent. So I gave up, assuming that pulling back the insulation was useless.

What alternatives do I have? Am I missing something?
rileymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

It is possible to carefully remove the vinyl soffit, drill some large holes through the plywood, and replace the vinyl soffit. Not always easy, but usually possible.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

I was going to suggest removing a few vents as well. It doesn't have to be every one. Just remove one maybe every 10 feet or so. Plus, I highly suggest getting some baffles for the attic space. They staple to the underside on the roof sheathing between each joist. That way, you can roll your insulation back without blocking the airflow.
nil8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

If there's coil stock covering the fashias just use a nail punch to knock in the coil nails and you may be able to reuse the old piece.

Once the soffits are vented the gable vents should be covered up.
If not there's not going to be air flow on the underside of the sheathing. It's just going to cirulate the air from the gable to the ridge.
A hole every 10 ft. most likly is not going to be near enough venting.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Thanks for some great ideas. Looks like a much bigger job than I anticipated.
rileymango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic, eaves, overhang, soffit, ventilation