Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is our roof safe?

Our house has heavy snow on the roof, and we did use a roof rake, but it keeps making thumping noises. is our house safe? or what other steps can we take?

LadyBlu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Is our roof safe?

Depends on the amount of snow on your roof.I think it would be a very dangerous line to walk to tell you your roof will be alright.With all the structural concerns pertaining to the weight factor. For anyone to tell you your home will be o.k without 1st seeing your home 2nd the pitch 3rd the ice accumulation and 4th the snowfall amount is not worth listening to.If it were my home and I had any significant snow or ice accumulation I would contact a professional to clear my roof.Alot of scammers are out in force so be careful.Don't accept any "cash" contractors.ALWAYS have ALL repairs in writing.If your roof,gutters,siding or any other property damage occurs then a contract will help in case of damage.A responsible contractor will be Licensed,insured and bonded for your protection.Keep in mind that not ALL states require a license but MOST municipalities require a license at the city and or county level.Also ask some friends or neighbors who they have had success with.Referrals are typically better than the phone books.Hope this helps.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Is our roof safe?

I agree with roofmaster as far as you should find some one to look at your roof and make sure it is indeed safe.
That some one can be a roofer or a handyman, a repair tech from a maintenance company, etc.
If you have so much snow & ice on your roof that your concerned,
than some one you know near by "neighbor, family, friend, co-worker" has the same issue so call around an find out who they called to take care of their homes.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote