Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

osb split and tearout

How should I handle osb that has bady split and torn out from the roofing nails? Especially along the outside edges, the stuff has completely split apart. All new construction.

This stuff is terrible.

We've had two minor rains, more like sprinkles, and this osb soaks up all the water it can and swells like crazy. So I need to figure out how to protect the edges of the roof on the eves.

It was rated exterior...

Thanks.

Cuc Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #2

osb split and tearout

OSB board is garbage and has a phenominal problem with edge swelling, which causes additional problems.

The cut edges are supposed to be treated from the factory with a coating to prevent this, but if any sheets need to be field cut to size, then there is no coating on these edges. Who in the world is going to inform the end user of these inherent problems? The builder trying to save a few bucks during construction? NO. The roofer or carpenter who installs the board decking? Usually Not.

Even with the proper sheet metal gutter apron and gable edge overhanging drip edge materials installed, what prevents the ambient humidity from permeating the product?

http://www.ebuild.com/articles/artic...ticleId.134260

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 08-10-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #3

osb split and tearout

While my project was merely a toolshed, I've just realized that a few years ago a contractor that redid my home's roof used OSB. Now I'm really worried about a potential serious problem.
Cuc Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #4

osb split and tearout

Well, just keep the situation under moderate observation. If you are one of the lucky 5% to 10% of all home owners who have proper attic ventilation provided for, then the interior vapor or humidity content will likely not cause adverse affects.

Don't turn into Chicken Little and start worrying that the sky is falling, just on the basis of a swelled deck on a shed building, at least until you do ever have any actual problems, if that ever occurs.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote