Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Options for attic ventilation

Hi folks,
I live in North Carolina and am ready to do a roof replacement. My roof is steeply pitched, hipped, and has an 8' ridge at the top. The house has about a ~1200 sqft footprint. The second story is contained within the hipped roof (with dormers) for a total of about 1600 sq ft living space. The house is 15 years old.

The house has perforated soffits around the perimeter of the house for adequate in-flow of air (I think). Current attic ventilation is a ridge vent and has a power ventilator that is almost at the peak of the roof. (Although the power ventilator died a month ago.)

From reading this forum (and other sources) I discovered that having the ridge vent and the power ventilator are not good together.

From the calculations that I've done so far, it appears that I need at least 2 sq feet of net free area for exhaust and for intake. I think that I'm covered on the intake, but am concerned on the exhaust. By using only a ridge vent, it appears that I will only get about half of what I need for exhaust.

Is it OK to combine the ridge vent and some other form of static ventilation that is very near the peak to attain the 2 sq ft of NFA?

Or, should I be pursuing other options?

I'm nervous about reinstalling a power ventilator due to the motor burn-up and fire hazard.

Should I be looking at something like an auravent or a syphon ventilator?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

hi4head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Options for attic ventilation

I came across this page that confirms / confounds what I was thinking.

http://www.roofingcontractorreview.c...f-Venting.html

My situation is very similar to that depicted. I've seen some newer ridge vent products advertised for going down the hip, but, am not sure about only going part ways down, or only going down a couple of sides.

Putting passives out near the edge of the ridge is an interesting idea that may minimize the short-circuiting. (If short-circuiting actually occurs.)

Chris

hi4head is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic, ventilation