Opinion On My Drip Edge Installation - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Opinion on my drip edge installation

I recently found rotted fascia board on my house and decided to replace. In replacing I decided the old construction method did not allow enough shingle overhang to properly drain into the gutters (aroung 3/8") . This is a soffit-less house. I replaced the fascia but left off the second trim 1x2 strip at the top of the fascia. The problem arises when trying to re-install the drip edge. I now have about a 1.5" shingle overhang but the starter course of shingles is nailed so close to the sheathing edge It is impossible to slide the drip edging back under the shingles without removing the entire starter course nailing. To remedy a rebent the drip edge and installed it a backwards. I need some type of flashing between the top of the fascia and sheathing to stop critters but am not sure this is the ticket. I am a bit nervous since this is not the traditional method of installation but it may work still. I have attached a diagram. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rafter detail.pdf (69.2 KB, 290 views)

Advertisement

crza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

easy for moisture or water/ice to get behind the flashing,better off not using any if that's your only choice

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

pop the nails that are in the way and install a proper drip edge.
re-nail, of course.

some times the long way is the right way.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

Agreed with doing it the right way. Its not an issue of pulling the nails but rather the shingles are old and will definitely crack if pulled high enough to either remove or re-nail. I pulled a few of the nails with a ripping effect. It would be a major project to pull the first two rows of shingles to replace the fascia and drip edge all the way around. I do want this to last until i need a new roof though.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #5

Since I am having issues pulling nails due to my shingle age, how about just a vertical piece of flashing nailed to the fascia? Sinct the shingles have 1.5" of reveal I could get away without and the flashing would solve my issues with the gap between the top of the fascia board and bottom of the shingle.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

i would prefer that way

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote