Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Opening On Roof For Air Circulation

I am designing a house and have the idea of an opening on the roof, kind of a high chiminea. the thought is air get in by the doors and windows and gets out by the high chiminea at the center of the house roof.

will it work? is this idea incomplete? how efficient it may be?

thank.....

FIDELM66@YAHOO.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Roof Cleaning Expert

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDELM66@YAHOO.COM View Post
I am designing a house and have the idea of an opening on the roof, kind of a high chiminea. the thought is air get in by the doors and windows and gets out by the high chiminea at the center of the house roof.

thank.....
That is the whole idea behind a ridge vent.
got to be careful not to make it TOO big ?
Otherwise you can create a negative pressure situation in the attic, and watch all your heat and air conditioning go out the roof.
You can click here and ask my brother who is an air conditioning contractor, he will know more.

apple roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDELM66@YAHOO.COM View Post

thank.....
If you are considering using your interior conditioned air via open windows and doors to be the source of airflow going into and out of the attic, you will have a tremendously inefficient home, enery wise.

With using the doors and windows, a whole house fan would provide the benefit you desire, which seems to be a continuing flow of fresh air through the home.

For that to function, without smothering into the attic, plenty of exit points need to be considered. You should have plenty of roof top ridge ventilation to allow the forced air to exhaist and with a forced air system, even the vented soffit panels or louvres would then act as exhaust portals.

An energy audit estimate should be designed and considered, especially with the high costs of heating and cooling a home currently are.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Roof Cleaning Expert

Whole house fans are a great idea.
The guy across the street has one.
He is THANKFUL he paid a LITTLE extra for a fan controller to change the speed of the fan.
If you get em right, they are great.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

very inefficient,you need soffit /fascia vents for intake,and much more exhaust venting,unless the roof is shaped with 4 sides that are isoceles triangles that lead to the peak,and even then you`d want more exhaust venting

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #6

There are many houses in the Texas countryside that are designed with an open roof line and a "chimenea" kind of cupola. There are windows at the top with a drop down pull chain so you can open it to let the how air out and then open a window on the ground floor on the SHADE side of the house. This creates and air flow pulling in cool air from the bottom and hot air up through the cupola. Works like an attic fan without using any electricity. I am trying to search for this architectural plan so I can retrofit my house as well.
DestinCindy
DestinCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Roof Cleaning Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinCindy View Post
There are many houses in the Texas countryside that are designed with an open roof line and a "chimenea" kind of cupola. There are windows at the top with a drop down pull chain so you can open it to let the how air out and then open a window on the ground floor on the SHADE side of the house. This creates and air flow pulling in cool air from the bottom and hot air up through the cupola. Works like an attic fan without using any electricity. I am trying to search for this architectural plan so I can retrofit my house as well.
DestinCindy
LOL, I just got back from the do it yourself pest control store.
I have CRITTERS in my attic.
The rascals chewed right through my soffits to gain entrance to my roof space.
At night, the attic comes to life, Dogs go nuts, I get no sleep.
Poison to the rescue
Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #8

There is more to this article. Drawings, etc. Also look under natural ventilation.

Solar chimney

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article refers to a device for ventilation. For the power generation technology, see Solar updraft tower. A solar chimney — often referred to as a thermal chimney — is a way of improving the natural ventilation of buildings by using convection of air heated by passive solar energy. A simple description of a solar chimney is that of a vertical shaft utilizing solar energy to enhance the natural stack ventilation through a building
DestinCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cupola's are sometimes used here in Canada if ridge or mushroom vents get covered by deep snow.
These must of course be sized to suit the area of the attic.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote