Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Share |

Open Beam Ceilings

I live in the caribbean where open beam peaked ceilings are a common design. These typically have a T/G cypress exposed with a 3/4" plywood layer over it and either metal or hypalon type weather coating. Most are either peak or hip designs

I am looking for imput on how to vent, preferably without taking away from the internal esthetics.

Picture of ceiling attached as a reference
Attached Thumbnails
Open Beam Ceilings-p5300213.jpg  

tritonvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #2

Open Beam Ceilings

I am not sure on the venting for your exact situation but I belive it is important for it to be balanced so as to keep the pressure equalized in case of a hurricane. So, for example if a vent is placed on one side to allow air in, it is best to have one located on the opposite side to let air out.

pdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Open Beam Ceilings

I have a separate question. We are doing a remodel and have exposed beams like those in your picture at our house in the Caribbean. In a couple locations the hanging lights and ceiling fan are right over a beam and I am unsure the best way to route the wires and mount the base for lights and fan.

I noticed in you photo that the fans appear to be mounted to the bottom of the exposed beam. Would you happen to have any information that explains how the wires were run and how the mounting was made to the beam?
pdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceilings, open beam, roof, vents