Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

One-man Re-roof Question

Hi all. I've roofed 3 new homes before, but never a reroof. I'm concerned with how much time the tear off will take, doing it by myself. It's an all hip two-story with one-story garage, all 4/12 pitch. Currently has old 30 year asphalt shingles (one layer only), and there's roughly 26 squares in total. Each hip section is roughly 3-4 squares each. I plan on tearing off and putting underlayment down a section at a time. Any guesses on how long tear-off/underlayment will take me for each section? It rains a lot here, and it's often unpredictable, so that's my main concern. Mahalo,
Jason

jkauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

One-man Re-roof Question

I would farm that part out even if it were my own house. That will take you a long time if your solo.

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

One-man Re-roof Question

Thanks for the reply. I would, but you're limited on Kaua'i, and no contractor wants just a tear-off job right now..."we're busy".
Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Metal Roofing

One-man Re-roof Question

If your able to drop it from the roof into a truck bed you could do it in a day. It is the dropping it on the ground and having to pick it back up to put into a truck thats gonna add to your 1 day. If thats the case you would need a weekend.

Its an easy pitch and its not very big so you have that going for you...oh yeah and its one layer. If you can drop it into a truck bed directly it should not be a huge deal. Just a lot more labor if your picking it off the ground, we call that "double handle" and the crew gets paid additional $.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
jkauai (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

One-man Re-roof Question

Did this very thing on my own house. It is difficult at best. Doing a section at a time can be disastrous. You will always have to cover the hip to make it water tight before tackling the next section not to mention you will have to walk on new shingles to tear off the next section. In the end, to be honest, it would have cost me less dollars and less aggravation to have hired it out. Really. By the time I bought all the tools, spent evenings and weekends of my valuable time, bought shingles that cost me more than it costs a contractor, getting rid of the shingles in the landfill.......well, you get the picture. You really need to keep looking for a contractor or at least wait til they are "not busy."
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
joecaption (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

One-man Re-roof Question

Thanks for the replies. I have all the tools and know-how, and I'm not shingling each section as I go, just underlayment. I'm using a Polyglass self-adhering underlayment that's good for 30 days exposed.

Andy, I think I'll give myself two days to get through the tear-off underlayment. Thanks for the thoughts. Definitely putting tarps on the ground for cleanup.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkauai For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-23-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

One-man Re-roof Question

If you're just doing a 3-4 square section at a time you shouldn't have any trouble. You can strip one layer in no time and then get your underlayment down pretty quick.
Shingling 4 squares shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours.

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davejss For This Useful Post:
jkauai (10-22-2013)