Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

Oh no, now mine's leaking too.

Tar and gravel flat roof is now leaking in one section.
Roof has not leaked all year, but now with the recent ice storms I have multiple drips in one room.
When we get a thaw and some drying I need to do some kind
of temporary repair until a complete tearoff can be done.
How can I effect a temporary seal over a 12 x 15 area till we get better weather?

lute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

remove the gutter,to be sure it`s not backing in thru improper flashing,and cover the roof w/a 20x20 tarp--It sounds like it`s a problem with the flashing at the gutter eave,typical for this time of year -if that`s the case,once the gutters off,you may not even need to tarp it,but better safe than sorry

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com

Last edited by the roofing god; 12-12-2007 at 11:47 PM.
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #3

Thanks, god.
No gutters , just scuppers. But the nearest scupper is on the opposite side of the house.
There is just the gravel stop in this area, no other perforations at all.
Do I need to remove all the gravel from the area where the leak is before tarping? How should I seal the edges of the tarp so the water doesn't run under it?
I now have seven pots on the floor to catch the drips; all I hear is plink plink plink.
lute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #4

you can wrap the edge put a 1/4" lathing strips or strips of plywood to nail to the outside edges,pull it up on the wall and put plywood strips(12-18") at a 45 degree angle leaning on the wall w/some bricks or pavers at the base side to hold them in place-if possible tuck the plywood strips under the siding course

Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #5

If you know the general areas that the leaks are coming from, you can by a product marketed by Mule Hide, which is sold at the ABC Building Supply stores. It is about a 2 1/2 gallon plastic container shaped like an anti-freeze container and is filled with a powder like substance.

Pour this powder on any wet surface areas you suspect where the leaks are coming from and when it soak up the water, it becomes a wet clay texture.

It acts very similar to Stop Leak in a car radiator. It may temporarily stop the leaks until the roof is dry enough to get it patched and/or reroofed properly.

It is not too expensive either and is an emergency lifesaver product when doing emergency temporary repairs in the rain or on a wewt ponded surface.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 AM   #6

that stuff didn`t work so well here ed

Old 12-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #7

On this past August 23rd, we had about 10" of rain in about 4 hours and the streets were flooded and water was over 12" deep next to the 2 garage doors at my shop. I poured 2 of those containers by each door and it stopped all of that water from pouring in.

I had water coming in through the footings from hydraulic pressure through small cracks, just like the little Dutch boy and the dike. At those spots I couldn't stop it.

To get into my shop from the asphalt parking lot, you have to go down 2 steps and I had sandbags at the top of the steps, and until I poured that stuff under the sand tubes and in all of the crevices, it was coming in like Niagra Falls.

I had 3 sump pumps inside running continuously until about midnight before I got the level inside to go down.

It works. It just has to be put in the right location.

If your comment is about roofs only, I also had to use it on a Duro-Last reroof on a hospital roof I was doing when a storm from Hell came out of nowhere. It sealed all of the unwelded seams before it leaked more than a trickle in a few isolated spots. I would have been able to stop them all, but I ran out of the powder and had already bought all of the supply from ABC.

It might not be a perfect solotion, but for a roof under water already, it sure did help.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #8

I know the stuff Ed ,powder to gluey substance when wet supposed to find the leak when dumped into the water,but like you say you have to put it on the right spot,if that`s the case you may as well use wet-dry flashing cement,tarping it will keep the water out better than a can of magic powder,when it dries you can remove the tarp and affect necessary repairs

Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #9

i've been in this situation a few times.
1. Make sure you that you find where the leak really is, I'd say this is the hardest part of - make a few patches or make them bigger if in doubt.
2. remove loose rocks/debris, dry it if you can - mopping excess moisture will work too if thats all you can do. shop-vacs are great for this
3. slather a thickish layer of roof cement on affected area, make sure its says on tube that it will stick in wet conditions.
4. optional: tarp over this, it may help but they never helped me. It depends on the high spot/low spot nature of the affected area. Those blue tarps get holes way too easily. Only those thicker brown/silver tarps should be used if you want to maximise your odds.

This patch should work for 30 -90 days. YMMV

rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote