DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is this normal/correct? Shingles overhanging drip ege by 1/2" or so

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  duane1982 
#1 ·
I just had my roof done and it looks like they did a great job. Im a bit confused though about how the shingle is suppose to overhang or line up with the drip edge. Ive seen some roofs where the shingles are trimmed to line up with the drip edge, while other roofs have the shingles extend about 1/2" or so past the drip edge. It seems like the 1/2" overhang would be the way to go. Is both "correct"? My old roof had the shingles flush with the drip edge which I think caused the drip edge to rust prematurely.

Here is an image I snagged off of google to illustrate what I am talking about. My roof edge looks very similar.

See less See more
#4 ·
It should overhang by at least a minimum of 1/2", with up to 1 1/2" being commonly acceptable by industry standards.

Being flush may not pose any problems, but I prefer to eliminate the possibility of reverse capilarry action, where the water flows under the shingles due to cohesion.

Ed

#6 ·
Correction:

As just stated, some codes may require a flush cut, as in Florida, due to wind uplift and they also do require the roofing cement to be applied at the perimeters and elsewhere.

Ed

#8 ·
I've done many both ways. I tend now to start them flush for the simple fact I've drivenback by houses I've did (and been called back) and noticed there are dents in the bottom row where the HO went up to trim a tree branch off the roof, or went up to look at something, install antennae etc. About half the houses around don't have gutters because of our freeze/thaw cycles in NY near lake Ontario.

#9 ·
I agree with ed, and with the fact that in high wind zones, the cement not only acts as an edge anchor, but as a sealnt to prevent the capillary action. I like them to hang over.

We have ice barriers nowadays that makes it feasible to let everyone have gutters. :)

#11 ·
Really? We have not had this problem where I live. It may well be localized thing. What about insulation? Might that help to alleviate ice buildup?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.