Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

No ridge vent=no ventilation correct?

Hello,

A year ago I moved into a townhouse association. I happen to be on an end unit in a building of 6. The original builder never used tar paper under the shingles and also nailed the shingles too high so in a good storm we are constantly having to repair them. He also failed to install a ridge vent. When you go up into attic you can see at the peak, there is a space for one but only the cap? covers it. The association is planning on replacing the shingles soon and installing the vent.

Some end units have an upstairs bathroom vent which goes straight to the side of building and vent through a "dryer" type vent. The other end units (as well as all the inner ones) have their vents travel forward to the front soffet but do not appear on exterior of building. We believe these forward vents are pushing out the hot steamy post shower air but it is going straight back up through the soffet and staying in attic due to no ridge vent. This seems to be a big problemduring the winter.

The question I have is this:
If the roof was replaced properly with a ridge vent, would there really be any concern to change the forward venting?

Thanks

Vermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont View Post

If the roof was replaced properly with a ridge vent, would there really be any concern to change the forward venting?

Thanks
The vent from the bathroom should exit the building to keep moisture out.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #3

Since the soffit vent are fresh air intake vents, they, by their very design allow the external air to flow into the interior of the attic.

The expulsion of the humidity from the vent hoses near the soffit vents would promote the reintroduction of the humidity that was intended to be expelled from the interior environment. This needs to be properly vented through an bathroom exhaust vent which protrudes through the roof instead of the soffit intake vents.

Further compounding the the problem is the lack of proper exhaust ventilation. Where can the newly introduced humidity now exhaust?

Why do you automatically presume the roofing contractor was at fault for ommitting the proper exhaust ventilation? Maybe it was proposed and declined to be accepted by the thrifty budgeting minds in control of the funds. Maybe when this project was initially undertaken years ago, proper balanced ventilation concepts were not as widely accepted as they are today, although I still find it to be the prevailing roofing system installation and specification defect.

His improper nail placement noes not speak highly of the skill level of the installation crew or their managing supervisor. Maybe the previous board went with the lowest bid rather than hiring the properly specified and properly priced roofing contractor.

Any time dealing with a committe to make a decision, someone always seems to conclude that they know more than the contractor because they have heard from a friend or some other source, what they believe to be correct.

To heck with the prices. Look at the quality of references, the length of time being in business, the use of trained employees versus farmed out day laborers and subcontractors and the best possible specifications to provide the best serving longetivity of the newly installed roofing system. Even if that requires saving additional funds, wait until you you can afford to have the job done correctly, rather than foolishly spending your reserve for another miserable job.

The only persons or entities who can afford to pay to have things done incorrectly, are those that have enough funds to do it over again prematurely.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 10-15-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #4

Wow....I was asking a question and got a political view..

Whatever the reasons were in the past, this is what we have to deal with NOW. The building was done 2000-2001. The complex was signed over to an association when a board was assembled after 2001.

Why do you automatically presume the roofing contractor was at fault for omitting the proper exhaust ventilation?

Is it normal in this forum to ask a question and have the moderator get so defensive of contractors?

By the way..the builder has several lawsuits against him at the moment for shoddy work. I hope that answers some questions.
Vermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

he gets like that sometimes ,anyway he was referring to someone else being in charge of the specs other than the" roofer",which in your case was probably the builder,who probably hired the cheapest helpers he could get to install the roof rather than pay for qualified roofers------OK STARTING FRESH-BATHROOM VENTS SHOULD BE VENTED UP THRU THE ROOF VIA SPECIAL TUBING AND CONSTRUCTED ROOFVENTS DESIGNED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE BATHROOM FAN(THIS HUMIDITY RELEASED INTO THE ATTIC DOES CAUSE PROBLEMS IF UNCHECKED.(SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS)----the forward vents are probably soffit vents as ed suggested which are for air intake rather than exhaust,in truth they do little or nothing without an active ridge vent(together it`s cross ventilation),it`s good you have them because once a proper ridge vent is installed you will be in good shape,think of an upside down bottle w/the cap off,no air flows down or out,but once you cut the hole in the top hot air rises up and out,while cooler outside air enters thru the bottom holes which works to keep the attic temperature as close to the outside temperature as possible---without this you can have condensation gather on your decking,and /or the shingles baking from underneath due to excessive heat build up---as per most manufacturers in 2001 the codes did require proper and balanced ventilation for the shingles to perform to their life expectancy(usually felt/tar paper as well)Hope this helps !

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:

The original builder never used tar paper under the shingles and also nailed the shingles too high so in a good storm we are constantly having to repair them. He also failed to install a ridge vent.

The other end units (as well as all the inner ones) have their vents travel forward to the front soffet but do not appear on exterior of building. We believe these forward vents are pushing out the hot steamy post shower air but it is going straight back up through the soffet and staying in attic due to no ridge vent. This seems to be a big problemduring the winter.

Thanks

I not only answered your question by providing the solutions to your problems, but also with a potential cause for the problems existing in the first place.

If you are too pompous to believe that other factors influence the final end result of the products and systems being installed, then you are setting yourself up for another failed roofing system application.

On the other hand, if you can open your mind long enough to see how improperly specified applications can occurr, then you have a chance to learn from the previous boards mistakes.

Reread the earlier response:
Since the soffit vent are fresh air intake vents, they, by their very design allow the external air to flow into the interior of the attic.

The expulsion of the humidity from the vent hoses near the soffit vents would promote the reintroduction of the humidity that was intended to be expelled from the interior environment.

Further compounding the the problem is the lack of proper exhaust ventilation. Where can the newly introduced humidity now exhaust

More:
His improper nail placement noes not speak highly of the skill level of the installation crew or their managing supervisor. Maybe the previous board went with the lowest bid rather than hiring the properly specified and properly priced roofing contractor.

NOW: Rather than go with the minimum specifications from the lowest qualified bidder, choose the contractor based on the best specifications and a proven long term track record of satisfied customers.

MORE:
To heck with the prices. Look at the quality of references, the length of time being in business, the use of trained employees versus farmed out day laborers and subcontractors and the best possible specifications to provide the best serving longetivity of the newly installed roofing system. Even if that requires saving additional funds, wait until you you can afford to have the job done correctly, rather than foolishly spending your reserve for another miserable job.

If getting the proper instructions and advice ruffles your feathers as being too political, I feel sorry for you personally.

The help offered is there for you to choose to do with it, what you want. If you do not heed the advice, then it is you and the other fee paying association members who would suffer, not me.

I provide very thorough and accurate advice, to not only flippantly suggest a simple answer to the current dilemma, but to enable an introspective thought process on how to avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

Ed
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Wow....I was asking a question and got a political view..

Whatever the reasons were in the past, this is what we have to deal with NOW. The building was done 2000-2001. The complex was signed over to an association when a board was assembled after 2001.

Why do you automatically presume the roofing contractor was at fault for omitting the proper exhaust ventilation?

Is it normal in this forum to ask a question and have the moderator get so defensive of contractors?

By the way..the builder has several lawsuits against him at the moment for shoddy work. I hope that answers some questions.
I agree that the response contained both very helpful information about proper venting, but also a somewhat unrelated digression defending the original contractor/blaming the owners for the problem. The question really wasn't asking for or placing blame. Just asking a question about how to fix a problem - absent roof venting and felt.

Starting arguments like this definitely takes away from my enjoyment of this forum, and in general it's not much of a problem. This is a good chatroom. Let's keep it friendly, so it stays that good!
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #8

What am I not getting?

I try to show people how the mistakes occur in the first place.

Did I come off as some angry SOB by telling him that other people also have something to do with the final specifications being approved?

I consider that a forewarning of what not to do, but I may be out of line.

I guess I just don't see it as you saw it.

I am not trying to lay blame, but point out how to better approach the decision making process.

Ed
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #9

you went into a tirade ED,YOU DIDN`T MENTION SEPARATE BATHROOM EXHAUST VENTS FOR THE HUMIDITY,AND EXPLAIN ABOUT THE NECESSITY FOR A BALANCED SYSTEM(SORRY ABOUT CAPS),you basically did what nate and the poster said,but that`s ok we still love ya,even if you`re havin` a bad day??

Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #10

It was not done intentionally.

Sorry, if it came across the wrong way.

Ed
Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #11

No worries here. (except worries for this poor guy's improperly ventilated roof! :p)
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #12

The good outweighs the bad ED