Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

No ice/water shield on 5 yr. old roof?

Hello,

Hoping someone here can tell me what my course of action should be. We bought a house two years ago which at the time was advertised with a 3yr. old roof. We are now getting leakes in the valleys of the gables. I looked up the work permit to try to follow up with the contractor but there is (was no?) permit on file. I have had a roofer over to give me an idea of what needs to be fixed and he says he doesn't believe there is any ice/water shielding just the felt. I live in Chicago so I am probably dealing with ice dams on my house (tri-level) though there are currently no gutters and this roofer's suggestion is to re-roof again. Without seeing pictures, can anyone tell me is this necessary? Sorry don't know the exact pitch on the roof but it is pretty low. Is it possible to just fixing the valley leaks until a new roof is actually needed? Or is there any other short-cuts I can consider before paying someone to do the whole thing? (Something other than a big blue tarp .) Or is it all or nothing?

thanks
lah

lliljegren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
old guy contractor

A reputable roofer is not going to want the liability of a patch and piecemeal project.

They want to take the roof covering back to sheathing so they know that's in good condition to start with.
From there, they will do a professional installation that they can stand behind.

Sorry you got stung on the 3 year old roof but please don't be foolish enough to get stung again by not doing it right.

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Without pictures, advice and help is very limited. Don't get zeroed in on the mindset that just because it doesn't have ice/water that is the problem. It sounds to me like not having ice/water as well as numerous leaks means the entire job is crap and your roofer may be correct. I'm going to guess it was installed as cheap as possible and not by a reputable roofer, or possibly not a roofer at all. Because of that anything short of total replacement will just lead to new suprises popping up for years to come. By the time you try to patch and piecemeal all the problems now and in the future, you may be money ahead paying up front to have it removed and done right.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #4

Many roofs over the course of multiple years can and have remained water-tight before the advent of Ice and Water Shield underlayments becoming the standard in our Chicago area.

Are you having current leaks recently?

Or, are these from last winters snowfalls and ice-dam occurrences?

So far this year the Chicago area has not experienced any snow, so what has promoted your leakage problems and when?

If the leaking is unrelated to winter time conditions, then without a personal diagnosis or observation of detailed photos, it would appear to be a poorly installed roofing system.

The previous Con-tractor may have nailed shingles too close to the center of the valleys or many other issues might be discovered.

If it is a poorly installed application, then just repairing the valleys may only be throwing good money in the wind.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote