Nice Looking Roof? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nice looking roof?

I am choosing a roof shingle for our house. I have narrowed it down to GAF prestique 30y or possibly prestique grande. The prestique grand costs 20% more, but it looks more than 20% better in the pictures. Does anyone have any real life impressions of these products?

Advertisement

ordinarymiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Nice looking roof?

the grande is just larger shingles with larger exposure area,depending on your home,it could look out of proportion,plus if you have existing sidewall flashings,you`ll want to use the regular size shingle,otherwise you`ll have to remove siding against the roof,and replace all your stepflashing as the exposure/size will be inadequate for the grande

Advertisement

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Nice looking roof?

I don't trust that cheezy flap on the Grande one bit. I've done one big timberframe with them. We chose the Grande because everything else on this house was oversized so regular lams would have looked very busy. Turned out very nice but I still am not very confident in that flap.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
registered

Rewards Points: 526

Nice looking roof?

I say certainteed landmarks or tamko heritage. Seriously speaking i seen gafs put on a new construction house 6 months later i couldn't believe how much that roof fadded out. ITs a completely different color now.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #5

Nice looking roof?

never saw that ever

Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Nice looking roof?

IMO stay away from GAF this year because gaf just bought elk and merged the shingles. In essence the shingles are brand new this year. Give them a few years to iron out the wrinkles and work out the bugs. Just my opinion. Plus since I am a roofer I am not a fan of do it yourself grade materials that are sold at hoem depot like GAF.

I am with 747 I am a certainteed Landmark man myself. I also do a fair ammount of Tamko Heritage. I am certified by Certainteed both as a SHingle Application Wizard and a Quality Master. My company is a Select SHingle roofing company. The point? I could have just as easily been certified by GAF but choose Certainteed instead because I think they make a better product.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #7

Nice looking roof?

gaf has been a solid performer for decades in the east,certainteed is also a top grade performer,but has had problems with certain product lines,I like certainteed,but here gaf is the better quality shingle,apparently in different locales,different factories which supply the product have better quality than others,on the west coast ELK has been a top performer---so it basically boils down to where you`re located,as to the available quality of said products

Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #8

Nice looking roof?

also GAF applicator programs are much more costly than Certainteed

Old 07-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
registered

Nice looking roof?

Grumpy thats impressive being certified by certainteed. You should get put on there website if your not already. There is a button to click for a certified roofing contractor and just enter zipcode. Hey that can't hurt for buisness unless they charge big money for that.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Nice looking roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Grumpy thats impressive being certified by certainteed. You should get put on there website if your not already. There is a button to click for a certified roofing contractor and just enter zipcode. Hey that can't hurt for buisness unless they charge big money for that.
Its free after you and the crew members pass the tests.

The CT rep is coming to my shop next Friday to provide a 1:40 minute video and then proctor the tests for my guys.

He was just here yesterday afternoon and seems like a very knowledgeable guy.

I don't favor the GAF program, because their main impotus is to receive a fee from a contractor to call them certified.

Seems sort of biased, being a high fee arrangement to qualify.

Plus, GAF Certifies all of those out of town Hail Storm Chasers and they don't even have any actual real legit employees, but underpaid and possibly illegal subs instead.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Nice looking roof?

Thanks for your replies. The only other choices I have from the three quotes I have solicited are IKO and BP harmony (all three companies quoted IKO, and two GAF). Maybe I'll try to get a few more quotes from someone who works with certainteed shingles. However, the companies I have chosen so far come with good word-of-mouth recommendation for workmanship, so I will have to dig to see if I can get a good product and good workmanship.
ordinarymiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Nice looking roof?

You have not mentioned which area you are from yet.

That does make a difference as far as to the material recommendations.

Some contractors, even those with referrals, use the cheapest product in comparison to a better quality product, just to remain competitive with the other bidders.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
registered

Nice looking roof?

I feel sorry for you now. Iko and gaf bids only. Thats not happening on my roof. I have never heard of bp harmony. Unless your in Canada or somewhere. Open up the yellow pages find a roofing supply house and ask if they carry certainteed landmark 30 ar or Tamko heritage 30 ar. If they do then tell a roofer thats what you want and so and so supply house has them. I mean i just had my sisters house roofed and that is exactly what i did. I wanted landmarks don't try pushing anything else on me. Let me tell you something GAF are big in the County i live in. Its the number one prefered shingle by all roofing contractors in this County. Biggest supply house in County every roofer uses doesn't carry them nor do they carry Tamko. But the roofer i went with uses a out of the County supplier Allied in Oak forest to be exact and it was no problem.

Last edited by 747; 07-25-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #14
registered

Nice looking roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Its free after you and the crew members pass the tests.

The CT rep is coming to my shop next Friday to provide a 1:40 minute video and then proctor the tests for my guys.

He was just here yesterday afternoon and seems like a very knowledgeable guy.

I don't favor the GAF program, because their main impotus is to receive a fee from a contractor to call them certified.

Seems sort of biased, being a high fee arrangement to qualify.

Plus, GAF Certifies all of those out of town Hail Storm Chasers and they don't even have any actual real legit employees, but underpaid and possibly illegal subs instead.

Ed

I would be all over that if i was a roofer. I'm mean that can't hurt for business. You can be like well are the other bids certified by certainteed. NOt to mention people could enter there zipcode and pull you up. I say the phone will ring.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #15

Nice looking roof?

I`ve been installing for 30 years and GAF is a top quality product,and we sell it so our customers get the best product available,certainteed is on par with them ,but certainly not better,I do understand the plant by indiana way puts out a poor product,but that is not indicative of gaf products,look at all the lawsuits certainteed products have inspired for comparison

Advertisement