Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Share |

Newbie w/ fascia questions

The fascia boards on our house need to be painted. The fascia boards are 2" x 6". The builder used interior door pieces to trim the fascia boards. I wanted to remove these trim pieces because they aren't designed for exterior use and they can't be sanded easily. As you can see they are pretty weathered . I started to pry off the pieces until I noticed that it will leave the edges of the roof sheathing exposed. Didn't know if anyone had any ideas on how this should be fixed. I want to install aluminum or vinyl wrap but I'm not sure how it's installed or if it comes pre-formed in the dimensions I need.

Thanks

NWallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
I have gas!

Where's the drip edge?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #3

With the exception of a few shingles, the roof hasn't been touched since the house was built 10 years ago. If something is supposed to be that isn't, then the builder shorted me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Where's the drip edge?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
MJW

Use a sider's edge or use a PVC molding. I would use a molding because it looks better and is solid. Aluminum just doesn't work that well.
google pvc boards..........Azek is one that is mentioned often as a very good product.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #5

You should have just left the moulding alone.

Now, instead of just lightly hand sanding or scouring the surface and cleaning it with TSP, then priming and painting the boards, you have opened up a a can of worms to deal with.

It is much harder to install the standard ODE gable/rake edge drip edge sheet metal while the shingles are in place.

There was enough of an overhang from the original shingles to not be alarmed.

Although I do recommend metal drip edges on my roofs, it is not a requirement from most manufacturers, but rather a recommendation.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Roofing Contractor

Hi,

Just courious. What is the difference between inside wood and outside wood.
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyho View Post
Hi,

I was thinking the same thing too Lefty, LOL.

I guess outside wood is from trees grown outdoors, while inside wood is from trees grown indoors.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #8

I only began with a small section (< 3') so replacing it shouldn't be too major. Wouldn't all of this moulding have to be removed anyway If I were to have the soffit wrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
You should have just left the moulding alone.

Now, instead of just lightly hand sanding or scouring the surface and cleaning it with TSP, then priming and painting the boards, you have opened up a a can of worms to deal with.

It is much harder to install the standard ODE gable/rake edge drip edge sheet metal while the shingles are in place.

There was enough of an overhang from the original shingles to not be alarmed.

Although I do recommend metal drip edges on my roofs, it is not a requirement from most manufacturers, but rather a recommendation.

Ed
Old 07-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #9

?????

Quote:
Hi,

Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
rwa

Quote:
Hi,

Bark!
rwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #11

You said in the original post that he used wood that is normally used inside outside!
I thought it was a nice look, but I guess you had other ideas.

If you are going to a'wrap" the facia with aluminum, the contractor will have a brake to custom bend the al. around this.
framer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #12

One of the things I like about the chatroom is that you get different approaches and opinions. Here's my 2 cents. I would have removed the molding from the facia just as you did. It does not look all that great and the fact that it needs repainting is all the incentive I need to remove it. The easiest way is to have a contractor bend aluminum to cover the facia. I favor vinyl clad aluminum if you go this route. You would need a brake to do the job and it is not worth buying one.
However, there is another way. I have had success with stock vinyl at Home Depot in the siding section. I have cut siding end pieces (there is probably a proper name for this but I can't recall) with a table saw and a fine tooth blade and used the pieces to trim a large picture window. It came out very good and will never needs painting. A bit of work but far less expensive than hiring someone.
It would have been nice if you had a drip edge and you might be able to install one now. It would go under the felt and the front edge would go over your aluminum (or vinyl) facia.
I think I know what you meant when you wrote about interior wood and despite the good natured ribbing I suspect the others who responded did too. What I think you meant was that the molding at issue is typically used in the interior of a structure. It might not look just right on the exterior and depending upon the type of wood, it might not hold up well either.
When I build my focus is on low maintenance. Putting aluminum or vinyl over the facia beats painting and repainting anyday.
I hope that I have been helpful.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #13

Correction. For this particular application, I believe the drip edge would go over the felt and under the shingles. Sorry, I guess I did not look at your photo carefully enough.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy 60 View Post
I would have removed the molding from the facia just as you did. It does not look all that great and the fact that it needs repainting is all the incentive I need to remove it.
Exactly. That moulding is fingerjointed in small sections. Works fine for trimming a door but in spite of the builder's intentions, it deosn't work for an exterior application because it can't stand up to the exposure.

Quote:
You would need a brake to do the job and it is not worth buying one.
This is the kind of info I was looking for. If there isn't an off-the-shelf wrap for these dimensions, I'll have to contract the work out.

Quote:
It would have been nice if you had a drip edge and you might be able to install one now. It would go under the felt and the front edge would go over your aluminum (or vinyl) facia.
I'd appreciate if anyone could provide a photo (or a link to one) that shows how this looks once it's installed.

Quote:
What I think you meant was that the molding at issue is typically used in the interior of a structure. It might not look just right on the exterior and depending upon the type of wood, it might not hold up well either.
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
I hope that I have been helpful.
Very much so. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #15

One thing my friend, with a little playing you can brake aluminum and you will find that brakes can be rented!

framer53 is offline   Reply With Quote