Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie to roofing-How to choose shingle, contractor?

Hello, everyone.

We are in need of a new roof, as we have suffered from hail damage here in Chicago 'burbs.

I have been poking around this site today and quite frankly, I am more confused than ever. The only good thing thus far is that I have been assured that I have good ventilation. (We installed an attic fan a few years ago along with extra soffit vents).

So far, I have had three estimates. One using Pinnacle, the second GAF, and the last uses Tamko.

How do I best choose the right roofer and materials?

All advice would be appreciated.

TIA!

P.S.

Thanks to Ed for directing me here

Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Piper,

I moved two forum topics up to the top of this list for you which may provide some insight and be quite helpful.

In the mean-time, please sit down, relax and enjoy the music.

In short, everyone can purchase the same or very similar materials. It is the quality, passion and desire to provide the best customer service experience you could ever imagine that should seperate the real professionals from the wanna-bees.

Read through the Roofing Commentary and How to choose threads listed just below this one and then see if I have confused you even more, or if that filled in any of the gaps.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #3

Do you have any further questions?

Several contractors are waiting for a response from you to offer their additional advice.

Ed
Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #4

Hello, once again!

I had the 4th roofing contractor out Friday, a referral from a neighbor, not a 'storm chaser' roaming the neighborhood. They also had hail damage, much more extensive than our home.

This 4th company seems reputable, in business over 12+ years. BBB and Angie's List gave good reviews. And, we watched them install our neighbor's as much as possible. One thing I really liked was the fact that they REMOVE my skylights and completely redo UNDER and OVER-not just redo around them.

We evidently do have damage as all four have said that it is apparrant (sp). Two said it was minimal to average, two said fairly extensive.

Part of our dilemma has been the decision to make an insurance claim or not. We all know how that industry is now working and we are weighing the options to see if that is a possible route for replacement. Having four different companies all saying 'yes' should help support us. Apparantly our insurance company (adjustors) is difficult when it comes to making a claim.

So.....a few questions I do have.....

Do any roofers hand nail anymore??
How much better is Grace I&W Shield Pycor than other brands?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I am sure I will think of more as I continue my quest.

Cathy
Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #5

Hail damage is an "Act Of God" per the insurance companies and therefor can not "Directly" be used to up your insurance rates.

The frequency of claims you have made and the cost of claims in your geographic zone or zip code will increase the entire zones rates. i.e.; If everyone around you is putting in claims for hail damage, your "zones" rates will go up automatically due to the higher volume of claims made and paid out.

Each insurance company determines what they feel is an approriate amount of hail damage on a roof and each individual adjuster has a differing view-point as to what constitutes actual hail damage. Most roofers in general are not properly trained to identify actual and current hail damage.

If the choice comes down to a dispute, then in your insurance "Contract", they have a means of mediation called the "Appraisal" process, which they tend not to inform you of and attempt to require you to attend a binding arbitration hearing instead. That sounds fair at face value, but the arbitor "Judge" is a paid member of the insurance company. Whos side will he be leaning in favor of? Insurance scam of the most abusive nature, in my opinion. If it comes down to that, please post further and request adfditional information on how to beat them at there own game.

The most common criteria is at least 10 hail dings or bruises to the shingle in a "Test Square" on the roof and collateral damage on other areas of the home which reflect actual hail damage. A good inspector will also view cenral A/C aluminum fins to see signs of denting, the gutters and downspouts, the aluminum siding, aluminum window and door trim, scarring to tree trunks and leaves or branches being destroyed from significant hail and also the freshness of the asphalt bruising.

These are just "guidelines", as each adjuster has a different eye and opinion regarding the damage. Are the asphalt bruises fresh and black from recent scarring or are they weathered and grey in color which would show aging from the sun over an extended period of time?

All roofers want every sign of "pitting" of aged and improperly vented shingles to be viewed as actual hail damage, when in fact, they are really just weathered shingles. The fresh appearance of "bruising" and the National Weather Service Reports of actual hail reported within the insurance policy time limits will substantiate the actual storm and damages created.

Grace "Ice and Water Shield", " Vycor is the 2nd level of premium product made. The only other one that is better is Grace Ice and Water Shield "Ultra", which is intended for longer exposure durations and for installations under sheet metal standing seam roof applications.

The local contractor will likely still be in business in your town several years down the road and will be around to service any possible problems, while the out oif town " Storm Chasers wll only keep a skeleton staff in a boiler room office set up for one year following the storm repairs they contracted for and then they will likely wil be gone and unreachable if problems ever do occur. They have no stake in the community, whereas the local guy must depend on referrals and his continuing reputation for customer service.

They also are doing the skylights correctly, as I presume they are also installing Grace Ice and Water Shield up to and over the curbs of the skylights while taking them off for the proper water-proofing of them.

A quality oriented nail gun user is just as good as a man who hand nails. There will be argument about that fact, but the key is, are they driving the nails in straight and in the correct nailing pattern? A novice nail gun user can repetitively make mistakes without even being aware of it, since they have no feel for the securement of the nail into the deck sheathing.

A sloppy hand nailer can be just as bad as a guy using a nail gun incorrectly. It depends on how far they have to lean over and strech to apply the nails, which then would allow the nails to get driven in on an angle instead of flush to the shingle materials.

Ed
Old 07-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #6

How do I private message you, Ed?

TIA!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #7

I think you need at least 20 or maybe 30 posts before that function gets enabled for users to cut down on spam messages.

Do this instead. I won't be back on until later tonight after the fireworks shows.

e-mail to:

***deleted***

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 07-10-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 AM   #8

I sent an email via your site.
Thanks!