Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie needing help with siding project on 1970 house!

So my wife and I bought ouur house 2 years ago, and finally decided it was time for some fixing.

Our house was built in 1970, has original windows, and is a 2 story colonial with a garage off the north side, and a great room off the south side. There is a full basement under the main structure.

So we decided to start with windows and siding because the aluminum siding was pretty damaged from years of normal issues, not to mention vines growing up the side of the house and damaging things.

Once I started getting the aluminum off, I found out there is masonite 11" lap siding under it! So rather than pile on top like the last guy and deal with jamb extensions, I decided to pull it all of and start out from scratch. Here is my issue though: They installed new aluminum soffit and fascia when they did the siding, and they butted the frieze channel against the masonite. SO......do I remove the masonite that resides under the frieze and replace the soffitt with new(since there will be a gap), or do I use my circular saw and cut the masonite flush with the frieze channel, and cover it with something??

I am really inexperienced when it comes to these odd situations, and really need a pro to help guide me here.

Thanks in advance!

VtecGSR95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Posting a few pictures would be a great help.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

Here are some pics.

This is front of the house and the garage:

Here is the soffitt where it meets the wall on the garage:

Here is where they apparently added the deck, and again decided to just screw to the siding:

As you can see my bright idea was to try and smash tje masonite siding out from behind it.......then realizing hey dummie, you need something to fill that gap between the 2x10 and the house!

Here is one more picture.....directly above the same corner of the deck picture showing where the soffit meets the house again, as well as the little bit of aluminum siding thats left to be torn off, and some masonite!

OK, so any thoughts/opinions now?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 730

That is the sort of sticky wicket that drove me to do nothing to our home for 17 years. It needed everything and everything was all tied together in such a manner that once you jumped in you were in for the long haul. I took the dive 2 years ago and hope to get finished before I am carted off to the nursing home.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 176

If your careful you can take that soffit off without damaging it. Remove the old crap, reside and put a frieze detail so they work again.
Might be worth it just to replace it, as aluminum soffit isn't that expensive, and you could go fully vented. If the gutter has no corners it is simple to remove and re install, as well.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Pat,

what is a "frieze detail"?

No corners on the guttering (which is going to be replaced also!), so maybe worthwhile to try and reuse the old frieze channel and install 1/2" wider soffitt?

I had thought about just putting some type of trim over the exposed frieze channel.....like a poly/vinyl quarter round, and just butt my J up to it, but I wasnt sure how well that would work out.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Have you already replaced the windows?
If not I'd buy new construction with built in J moulding.
As the windows are pulled you wrap the wall with house wrap then install the windows.
That old Masonite can be cut even with the old aluminum J molding with a Toe Kick saw and an oscillating saw to cut the tight areas.
Once it's out you may have to go with 5/8 J moulding to cover the gap.
I install a piece of utility trim upside down inside the J moulding. That way I can punch the top row of siding with a snap loc punch. Then the siding will lock in place and still be able to expand and contract with no silicone or trim nails needed.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

I wouldn't be tearing off the siding like you're doing unless you have a crew that will be working on multiple walls at the same time.

You should just tear off one wall and a foot or so around the corners so you can wrap the corner with housewrap, side that wall and then move on.

You must have a lot of faith that you'll be able to get things covered up any rains come.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #9

Sure looks like you have some areas where the sheathing is sitting at or even below some grads and slabs.
I'd make sure and water proof that area with Storm And Ice shield and instead of starting the siding at grade use 1 X 6 vinyl lumber instead.
Then a strip of Z moulding and last a row of J moulding.
That way the splash back will not get to the sheathing.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 606

I think you have to step back and look at the whole package.

How is your roof ventilated? That soffit is non-vented, and chances are it is on top of a plywood soffit.

Ideally, you will remove the alum. soffit, the plywood soffit as well, then re-do the soffit with fully ventilated soffit panels, and clear out the area between rafters and install rafter chutes. You'll probably have to get up in the attic to do some of this. It's not a fun job.

Let's hope you can leave the fascia board and drip edge alone and just clad it with aluminum.

But before you do any of that, how are your walls insulated. I have a few homes built in '70 or thereabouts, and they have the black R board as sheathing with R-7.5 insulation in the stud cavities.

So what to do?

Well, the best thing is to strip all the sheathing, including the plywood in the corners, and pull out the R-7.5 and replace it with R-13. You can update any wiring at this time as well. Do everything from the exterior.

Now, what shape are your windows in? Ideally, you'll be getting new windows or pull the ones you have and reinstall, because you are going to do some sheathing next, and it will change your walls for doors and windows.

Install some metal "t" bracing, which will obviate the plywood in the corners. Now sheath the whole structure with 1" t&g xps, then wrap and re-install the doors and windows. This will add R-5 and it will stop a lot of bridging through the studs. Infiltration will really be improved.

Now you can go with your soffit, then side the building and you are done.

You'll have to come up with some 1/2" jamb extensions on the interior to make up for moving the doors and windows out 1/2".

Sorry about that.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

Lots of feedback......let me respond a bit.

The reason I removed everything is because we have no rain in the weather forecast anytime soon (so they said!), so I went for it with the intentions of wrapping it quickly.

JoeCaption, the windows are Andersen 400 series new construction, and they will be here in a week or so. They don't offer the built in J on those windows, and my wife wants to picture frame them anyway, so I got some time before that happens.

When you mention using 5/8 J mold and using utility trim in it, did you also still mean to cut the masonite flush with the frieze nailing flange, leaving the remainder under it? Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. That is along the lines of what I wanted to accomplish, but I didnt know if it would look tacky with a small gap up by the soffitt?

Kwikfishron, my cheap arse wasnt willing to pay someone $3000 to remove the siding, so I am a one man crew working my tail off on the evenings and weekends! Again, my lack of experience told me to tear everything off in order to prevent cutting the house wrap in multiple places. Maybe its not a huge issue, but I wasnt sure, so I did what I thought was best at the time!

Last, JoeCaption.....are you suggesting I wrap the bottom 36" of the house with this stuff, and house wrap over it??? All the wood is on good shape aside from the masonite.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #12

clevemen,

I must have just missed your post.

The soffitt is vented on some places, but likely not as much as it could be. And whether they cut out any extra holes for airflow in the original soffitt is something I am unaware of. However, I dont see that being an option (replacing all the soffitt) at this point. We may have to add some extra vented, but I doubt we will replace it all if we can avoid it.

Also, there is a proper ridge cap on the roof, but as I stated, I doubt the soffitt airflow is great.

I am going to get in a little closer today and inspect (heat lightened up a little), and see what I have to work with. I am trying to avoid a complete rebuild, because I did NOT budget for that in the beginning, so we are truly trying to make the best of a bad situation with what we have.