New Siding Over Retrofit Windows - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

New siding over retrofit windows

We have an older house (approx 100 years old). The previous owner replaced some of the windows with vinyl Kohler retrofits. The old wood windows were removed and the new retrofits are essentially just butt up against the back of the existing siding/trim and do not have a nailing flange.

I will be adding a layer of insulation, strapping, and new wood siding. My issue is tieing in the new tyvek/flashing to the vinyl windows. I've come up with two schemes, and would like some opinions (or alternatives).

Option 1, metal flashing below the header trim. This is the easiest to install but I'm worried there isn't enough space between the return and the trim to allow for proper drainage.

New siding over retrofit windows-flashing1.jpg

Option 2: metal flashing above the header trim This is a bit more difficult as it requires cutting the insulation and strapping to allow for the metal flashing to pass through.

New siding over retrofit windows-flashing2.jpg

I thought about moving the windows out farther, but I don't see what that gains me considering they don't have a nailing flange. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Advertisement

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 710

Any chance of a real picture of the outside of the house around the windows?
What should of happened before the new siding went on and the windows went in is the trim around the windows should of been added onto to build it out and the old wood covered with coil stock then add the siding and replacement windows.
That way the coil stock could be run all the way up the sill, not just against the new windows, and the nails would not be seen on the outside edges.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Picture of the window. The windows were installed by the previous owner before we bought the house. There were two additional layers of siding over the original wood siding you see here. I've removed them and plan on treating the original wood siding as my exterior sheathing.
New siding over retrofit windows-img-20130802-00383.jpg

Close up of the corner. I will be removing the small filler pieces of wood in order to make room for my flashing and wood return.
New siding over retrofit windows-img-20130802-00384.jpg

Last edited by shazapple; 08-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

Bump, updated with better pictures.