New Shingles Thinner Than Old! - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

New shingles thinner than old!

I just had IKO 40 year shingles installed on my house.
The old shingles were IKO 20 year shingles!

I compared the thickness of the old vs. new and noticed that the new 40 years shingles are thinner than the old ones.

Have they improved the composition of new shingles that would make them last longer?

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

They have switched from an organic filler to fiberglas and i'm sure that would make a noticeable difference in thickness.

Advertisement

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
They have switched from an organic filler to fiberglas and i'm sure that would make a noticeable difference in thickness.
Thanks, Sly! What you say makes sense. Have they done this to compete with metal roofing?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Residential Roofer

No, they had to make the switch because the organic fillers experienced high volume premature failure.
Once manufacturers had to stop using asbestos they switched to either an organic filler or fiberglas, the organic fillers just don't cut it.

I don't believe a 40 year shingle properly installed will hold up as long as a properly installed metal roof, 50 year / life time shingles come a lot closer but they do not hold up as well aesthetically in the latter end of the life span as metal doe's.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Fiberglass shingles were on the market long before metal became popular. Fiberglass shingles have been around since the 70's or so I hear. I was born in the 70's. Yes metal roofing has been around ALOT longer, but seldom used as a complete residential roofing system until recent years. Very very few homes in my area have metal roofs either panelized or metal shingles. A good metal roof carris a huge upfront investment, while a cheap metal roof just isn't worth having.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Fiberglass shingles were on the market long before metal became popular. Fiberglass shingles have been around since the 70's or so I hear. I was born in the 70's. Yes metal roofing has been around ALOT longer, but seldom used as a complete residential roofing system until recent years. Very very few homes in my area have metal roofs either panelized or metal shingles. A good metal roof carris a huge upfront investment, while a cheap metal roof just isn't worth having.
Yeah the 70's is when the manufacturers were forced to stop using asbestos, they already new the day was coming in the 60's tho.
They switched to fiberglas, but a few manufacturers toyed with organics and still do, not all organics failed.
IKO and Certainteed sold more of them in the residential field than any of the others and they both did so on a large scale up to as recent as 05 - 07.
So an IKO 40 yr shingle on the market today would have an noticeable difference than an IKO 40 yr shingle produced by them 10 years ago.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #7

My old IKO shingles were installed about 18 years ago. Say 1983, so they were likely fibreglass also, then.
I can't imagine that the new shingles will last anywhere near 40 years. Or even 30 years!
They seem to be flimsy compared to the old ones.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
My old IKO shingles were installed about 18 years ago. Say 1983, so they were likely fibreglass also, then.
I can't imagine that the new shingles will last anywhere near 40 years. Or even 30 years!
They seem to be flimsy compared to the old ones.
No, they were likely organic in 83' and fiberglas now.

Last edited by Slyfox; 10-11-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
No, they were likely organic in 83' and fiberglas now.
OK! Thank you! They were 20 year shingles, and they almost lasted that long.
Gues I can't complain!

Advertisement