New Roof - Water Problem - Videos - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New roof - water problem - videos

Hi, I am a homeowner and I just had a new concrete tile roof installed. During the first major rain since the install, I noticed that a good amount of water appeared to be coming down off the sides and down the sloped rafters. Also some heavy drips off of the side rake tiles. It appears to me that water from the roof is escaping over the side. The roofer says my condition is normal and appears unwilling to correct. Please take a look at these brief videos and let me know if this is really normal, or not. If not, what kind of correction should I ask for?
video 1

video 2

video 3

video 4
Thanks!

Advertisement

explummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

It looks normal to me. The side tiles have a lot of surface area and since there's no gutter on the edge, it drips down.

Advertisement

djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

I don't see anything wrong other than your fascia could use a coat or two of paint.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Rain is going to run/drip off any vertical surface it is hitting.
pkrapp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

In the first vid it appears normal, but its possible your gutter at the end cap is not sealed and could be leaking. If thats not the case then it is normal.

Nor Cal ?

after looking at vid 2 it doesnt appear the gutter has anythign to do with it. I jumped the gun posting before watching all the vids.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Since a concrete tile roof is definitely not a cheap roof, it is hard to believe that you did not include cladding of the rake with .032" white aluminum. Hard to tell anything from your videos. We need to see the roof from the top.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. These are new gutters and I'm pretty sure they don't leak but I will test them. I also think I will try to test the roof with a hose to see whether "roof water" escapes over the sides. I think that might be the case, because the quantity of water seems like it's not just the rain that's hitting the side rake that I'm seeing coming off the rafters.

Also, next rain storm I'll check out how my situation compares with similar houses in the neighborhood.

jagans - there is no aluminum cladding of the rake. It's not something I was aware of. I've done some quick googling but don't really see an example of what you're referring to. The hits I'm getting refer to metal roofs. If you have any further info, that would be great.

And yes, an exterior paint job is on our radar screen.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by explummer View Post
Thanks for the replies. These are new gutters and I'm pretty sure they don't leak but I will test them. I also think I will try to test the roof with a hose to see whether "roof water" escapes over the sides. I think that might be the case, because the quantity of water seems like it's not just the rain that's hitting the side rake that I'm seeing coming off the rafters.

Also, next rain storm I'll check out how my situation compares with similar houses in the neighborhood.

jagans - there is no aluminum cladding of the rake. It's not something I was aware of. I've done some quick googling but don't really see an example of what you're referring to. The hits I'm getting refer to metal roofs. If you have any further info, that would be great.

And yes, an exterior paint job is on our radar screen.

Thanks again everyone.
Look up *aluminum fascia* should turn up what jagans was referring to, its metal cladding that covers the wood. Usually not an overly expensive project, either.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

To wrap the fascia now you'd need to remove those end tiles.

If you only covered the fascia up to the nails water would get trapped between the cladding and the wood making it difficult for the fascia to dry out and just speeding up the rot process, defeating the purpose of wrapping it to begin with.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 198

I didn't notice those face nails, is that normal for that style roof? I don't do tile, but haven't seen that before on the ones I've looked over.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #11

Let me ask a hypothetical. IF I find that water from the roof is making its way under the side rake tiles, then can anything be done to prevent that? I would prefer as much water as possible make it into the gutters (which feed a drainage system), and not fall near the foundation of the house. The cladding sounds like it would protect the rafters, but it would not stop water from going to the wrong place.

Thanks.

Advertisement