Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

New Roof Vs Insurance

After Hurrican Ike, I found 2 leaks in my attic and one in the kitchen. I called 3 roofing contractors before the adjuster came. I was told that I need new roof. However, my insurance stated that my roof still strong and it just needs a patch.

During the adjuster's visit, he found that the shingle, roof vents, & flashing pipes need to replace to prevent the 2 leaks in my attic. However, the kitchen leak, the adjuster can't tell me where the leaks coming from and will patch the drywall and paint. I am not comfortable in that one since the last Hurricane has created leak before in almost the same area and I had it patched. And it came back during Hurrican Ike. So that is my dilemma. They will fix the kitchen ceiling, but their is no guarantee that the leak will not come again in the future.

The adjuster also found (after pointing it to him) that some ridges came off above my garage and living room. He will not replace the whole thing, but only the parts that come off.

I have lots of concern:
  1. By patching it will not much the roof I have now (I bought the house, new in 1992, 30 years roof longevity)
  2. The leak in the kitchen, the adjuster can not tell me where the leak is coming from (although one of the roofing company told me there was 1/4 inch apart from shingle seen from the attic in the kitchen area) may have had caused the leak in the kitchen
  3. The roofing contractors stated that the roof can not take another disaster as is
  4. Have a big tree in the back yard and half of the branches bombarded the back side of the roof and one 10 inches thick branch dropped in my kitchen area
  5. The roofing contractors stated that #4 concern has weakened the roof.
But the adjuster stated that their is no hole; therefore, no damaged. I guess my question is, "How much damaged does a home have before an adjuster considered to replaced the whole roof?" In addition, their are cracks in four corners of the house, but the adjuster stated that they were caused by the house shifting. I've been here since 1992, I have not seen that before. I retired early and like to read books and I know they were not there before Hurricane Ike.

Please help and tell me what I can do from here.

Sincerely,

Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

New Roof Vs Insurance

First off what insurance company are you with. I want to make sure I don't use them.

I would be calling his boss and have him come out or at least talk with him.

There is also insurance commissioners in every state and you can give them a call.

Call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. That has worked for me in the past.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

New Roof Vs Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
First off what insurance company are you with. I want to make sure I don't use them.

I would be calling his boss and have him come out or at least talk with him.

There is also insurance commissioners in every state and you can give them a call.

Call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. That has worked for me in the past.
LIBERTY MUTUAL...
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

New Roof Vs Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
LIBERTY MUTUAL...
Well there you have it. Why am I not surprised?