Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Share |

New roof...roofer skipped flashing

Just had a new roof put on in April. Roofer's contract reads "flash and seal where needed." He did not put any new flashing on when he did the roof. A small piece of the old flashing came loose a few weeks ago and the old flashing is a mess and under it is algae and debris.

Roofer says he will NOT come back out and will NOT replace flashing, even though his contract reads "flash and seal where needed." Roofer didn't properly inspect the flashing during the roof removal and the re-roof.

What can I do?

Thanks.

solas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #2

Got a picture?
Any idea on why he said that?
Guess there was no inspections or permits.
Was he licenced? If so might want to try and go through the board of contractors in your state.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solas
Just had a new roof put on in April. Roofer's contract reads "flash and seal where needed." He did not put any new flashing on when he did the roof. A small piece of the old flashing came loose a few weeks ago and the old flashing is a mess and under it is algae and debris.

Roofer says he will NOT come back out and will NOT replace flashing, even though his contract reads "flash and seal where needed." Roofer didn't properly inspect the flashing during the roof removal and the re-roof.

What can I do?

Thanks.
I'm a little confused. He said flash and seal where necessary which usually means to either install new flashing or caulk where nothing is existing. You then say the old flashing came loose a few weeks back which means flashing was there.

To me this reads that the flashing was there and something occurred that loosened it.

What was his workmanship warranty?
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

Roofer took of roof and replaced. His contract reads "flash and seal where needed." He didn't property inspect the flashing and thought he could just use the old flashing. It's more than 30 years old, could be as old as 50+ years. He didn't flash or seal where needed and now that this small piece of the old flashing has come up (possible disturbed by his job and working around the old flashing), I can see that there is algae and debris behind this old, crap flashing.

He gave us a 10-year workmanship guarantee. He said he will NOT return and fix or replace the flashing. He sent his son once and son nailed the flashing into the mortar and use black tar/caulk that didn't work/seal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Publication1.pdf (51.4 KB, 42 views)
solas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Roofer skipped the flashing? What a shocker (not really). Was he the cheapest? Admit it if you picked the cheapest. Now you know why he was cheapest.

I hired a new guy and asked about flashing chimneys, he said "get a bucket of flashing". I cringed!!! If he applied "tar" that could be argued in a court of law as "Sealing".

Why did he say he will not come back? What was his reason?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Flashing of what? A rising wall? A chimney? Base Flashing, Counter Flashing?

Send Pictures.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Metal Roofing

"Flash and seal where needed"

He did exactly that. The problem is it should say install all new flashings and it does not. I think he did what he wrote, new flashings were not part of his deal according to what you posted. If the roof leaks he is responsible under his warranty, but the old flashings are not his, nor would his warranty cover them.

You got yourself in a pickle here. Lets say you do have a roof leak in a year. He will come out and blame the flashing for the leak and avoid resonsibility. His warranty will not include the original flashings, so when it leaks he very well could blame the flashing...and he would be a prick, but he would be right. He is only going to warranty his work and the flashings are not his. Maybe i am wrong, but he mentions Flashing and 10 yr warranty in his contract and you assumed it was a good deal. The wording is not in your favor and you actually get niether of them in reality.

I may be wrong, but thats how i see this playing out if or when it leaks.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
JOATMON

This is not helping the OP any...but makes me feel much better about my roofer....I installed new flasing on all my roof penitrations....and he replaced them anyway.....mine were so new that I was able to take them back to HD and get my money back.

Low bid is not always the best value...

With that said....

If he is giving a warranty for workmanship....I would call this a workmanship issue.....if he didn't think the flashing needed to be replaced or sealed....sounds like he made a mistake...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Roofmaster

This is the work of a hack. Its going to leak.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Roofmaster

See attached
Attached Thumbnails
New roof...roofer skipped flashing-scan0001.jpg   New roof...roofer skipped flashing-scan0002.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Roofmaster

The first rule of properly specifying any construction project is to not allow terms that beg additional information. Some examples are:

As required. (As required by who, or by what?)

As necessary. (As necessary in who's opinion)

Less is more. for example:

Replace Flashings

Note here that I did not even specify base, counter, metal, bituminous or anything else.

In this case you could have referenced SMACNA, or the NRCA Steep roofing manual.

The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
beenthere (12-11-2012)